Mic preamp / interface quick (noob) question

BxD

Let's say I have a Steinberg UR 824 interface. I also have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 that I use for drums and then take the ADAT out to go into the UR824 to get it all into Cubase 7.5 (full). If I came across an expensive mic preamp that I wanted to use for vocals that did not have ADAT out -- how would I get that "better" signal into Cubase? If I send the out into one of the UR inputs, an I not adding the UR's preamp in, thus negating any benefit of the "better" preamp?

This is simple noob question has bugged me for a while...

Thanks...

When you run the saffire via adat to the UR, you are bypassing the UR preamps and converters.
If you took an analog output from a preamp into a line input on the UR (assuming it has one), you'd be bypassing the UR preamps and using the UR converters.

When you run the saffire via adat to the UR, you are bypassing the UR preamps and converters.
If you took an analog output from a preamp into a line input on the UR (assuming it has one), you'd be bypassing the UR preamps and using the UR converters.

Really nothing left to add here, this is all you need to know. =]

Let me elaborate on that... I have a similar query with an Avalon VT-737sp which doesn't have ADAT or S/PDIF and my only option to get it into the DAW is through a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56. As long as I use one of the "standard" inputs (as opposed to the Liquid channels) am I getting any coloration from the Focusrite pres? I don't hear a problem, the sound is awesome but I still wonder if the Focusrite pres are affecting what I get from the Avalon?

Not if you're using the line inputs that the Focusrite offers.

The Liquid Saffire even has dedicated line inputs, so I don't think they even touch the mic pre, unlike in the case of the combo jack interfaces.

I'm not 100% positive that second statement is true, but I'm fairly certain that the line inputs are essentially bypassing the preamp.

Not if you're using the line inputs that the Focusrite offers.

The Liquid Saffire even has dedicated line inputs, so I don't think they even touch the mic pre, unlike in the case of the combo jack interfaces.

I'm not 100% positive that second statement is true, but I'm fairly certain that the line inputs are essentially bypassing the preamp.

I am using the dedicated line inputs on the 56. The Saffire PRO 40 has combo XLR/TRS sockets. These don't seem to cause any issues either. I don't have a problem with it, I was just curious. I think the original question was interesting

Back