Mic preamp for a ribbon mic

Mkycky

Hi everyone, first post on this forum. I have been recording using a teac 2340 and model 2a mixer. I had been using a large diaphragm condenser mic and an sm 57 for acoustic guitar. I found that the lows were pretty muddy, and after some research I decided to buy a cascade fathead ribbon mic to smooth out the lows. However I'm going to need a high gain mic preamp to get it sounding up to par. Something with 2000 to 3000 impedance. My condenser came with a matched preamp that sounds good through the teac. I plan on using the ribbon mic at the same time so I can't use that preamp with it. Any suggestions on a good stand alone preamp for the ribbon mic? Everything I find on the internet talks about pretty pricey options and preamps that are supposed to plug into high end newer mixers. Any info would be great, thanks.

YMMV...but I wouldn't expect the Fat Head to work well on acoustic guitar.

I have a pair of Fat Heads, plus one of their higher end C77 ribbon mics...what they do is beef up the low end and smooth out and roll off the high end....not what I would think a very desirable balance for acoustic guitar.
I mean...whenever I record acoustic, the low end is always what I'm trying to tone down.

The Fat Heads are great on bright, edgy electric guitars or brass instruments...but I have used them even on an upright piano, when I wanted the to just record the upper octaves, but without a lot of the chime/ring you can get up there.

So...don't regret the Fat Head mics, they have uses.

I'm not sure why you're not getting a good sound with the LCD?
Maybe combine the LCD with a Fat Head...???

The ISA One looks like it might be just right for what I'm looking for. And miroslav, I'm planing on combining the fathead with my sterling st69 condenser and I think it should sound halfway decent, at least that's what I'm hoping for.

YMMV...but I wouldn't expect the Fat Head to work well on acoustic guitar.

I thought that once, but I have used a fathead on acoustic when I have had to record the acoustic along with the vocal, and the results are good. I also often record a fathead with another mic usually a LDC as I find blending the 2 mics gives a very warm tone, see image.

Alan.

cardy-blog-1.jpg

P.S: thats not me in the pic, I am in the control room LOL. Thats good ol Mike Cardy.

Last edited:
It really comes down to the tone you are after...and what the guitar is doing.

I just know that "out of the box"...the Fat Head is a darker sounding mic, which for me, doesn't enhance the tone I'm after from an acoustic guitar. I've opted for a FET design LCD mic. It gives me the warmth, but still enhances the highs.
That said....I don't do a lot of traditional/classic acoustic guitar recordings. I use acoustic guitars more as a rhythm guitar supplement to electric guitars, so I don't want/need a heavy low end from it...rather more of the warm jangle.

Back