Mic Pre Roundup!!!!!

Ears

ADA
Hey you all!

Check out 34 preamps. If you go to http//www.3daudioinc.com
they have recorded a large selection of pre's and burned the results to CD. You can buy the CD and audition all these great units from $200 to $8000. I ordered the CD and rec'd it in just a week. What better way to check them out for future purchases you had in mind. Pro packaging and a sampling of female vocals and acoustic guitar. They are also working on a second with male vocals and snare drum. A snare is supposed to separate the men from the boys.....as far as pre amps go. Check it out.

So tell us, is there a significant difference between the various pre-amps ? After listening to the recordings, which ones would you buy ?

Well what you do is listen to each numbered pre amp in a sequence. You right thumbs up if it blows you away, a straight line if you like it but it doesn't blow you away and thumbs down if you think it sucks.
They give you enough time to listen so you can hear it through all dynamics. A female voice ...34 times and then an acoustic guitar 34 times. Some sounded great on the vocal but not on the guitar. Visa versa as well.
There were quite a few that I liked a few that knocked me out and a few that I thought did'nt cut it. My fav was the $8000.00 Neve vintage units. You go through the exercise before you open the book and find out which ones are which.
One unit that I heard so much about and wished for a long time I gave negative comments and nothing positive.
They state clearly though that the sound also combines the studio, the voice, the mic, and the guitar. So to say which are best is not that easy. It does however let you narrow down you choices if you are looking for a specific sound.
It's worth the $30. Check it out.

By the way......yes there is a significant difference.

How did the dbx 386 stack up in <your> opinion?
I'm pretty sure it's in there somewhere.
I don't know if I have the patience for this experiment, let alone the thirty clams.

Ears, are you an engineer? It seems to me that it's only engineers to who claim the differences between the pres on that CD are big differences. To my ageing earholes, the differences are very small. I played parts of the CD to my wife, who got pretty bored with it pretty fast - "They all sound the same". The only comment I've heard about the expensive pres that justified their cost was from an engineer who said the difference became much more noticeable when you started working with 8 or more tracks in a mix. I'm willing to believe that, but then for someone like me who's doing live to two tracks recording these days, it's not an issue.

Oh, BTW, 3DAudio's setting up a mic comparison test soon. Now, *that* should be really interesting and revealing.

Ears..
I think the answer that would benefit the majority of us here is... Which preamp was the overall best for under $1,000?

First:

Am I an engineer?

I have an electronic background, but I have had a project studio for 18yrs. I have recorded hundreds of demo projects and done CD's of local artists. I never claimed to be an authority guys, I'm just sharing with you what I thought was a cool way to check out what's out there. Claiming that I'm not zoning in on what units we can all afford, or (hopefully your not) implying I'm not being of any help to others because most are out of our budget is crap. I thought it was worth $30.00. I definitely CAN hear the difference in the pres on MY monitors, and if it will better my product and grow my clientele because I care to make them sound the best I can, then it's worth the money. I have $2200.00 in pres now. Because you don't know what pre you are listening to when you do the test, and I picked the $8000.00 Neve as my favorite, without knowing, doesn't mean I ordered 10 for my studio. I was just stating that I, IN MY OPINION, picked that unit and can see why it's that kind of money.It's also MY opinion, that a variety of pres on different tracks , not just one, is what makes for a flavourable recording.The answer to the above post is each should make their own choices.

Am I a outcast because I take recording seriously....on this forum??? Am I not aloud to get better at what I do? I believe in the philosophy that if you are serious about something and want to grow to be better at it, it will cost money. I'm also NOT saying it should be yours.I made money recording people to pay for my gear. I have a family and my day job money goes towards maintaining.
I love recording and have worked very hard over the years where I am good enough to make money at it. These are my rewards. If that's not your ambition cool.It is mine.Otherwise I would still be working my cassette 4 track......

[Edited by Ears on 09-02-2000 at 09:54]

Hey man, it was just a question, not a challenge. I'm curious when people hear things I don't hear. I believe you when you say you heard significant differences through your gear. By 'significant' I mean worth paying a lot of money for. But I know I didn't hear great differences through my gear.

I've noticed with the 3DAudio Pre CD that it's the engineers who tend to emphasize the differences, and the relative inititiates who tend to say 'what differences?' So the conclusion I draw is either:

* Engineers can hear things I can't.

* Engineers overemphasize the existing differences.

I can hear differences in mic or cable type on mp3s that Sonusman posts from time to time. They sound pretty easy to spot it seems. But when I got the CD from 3D Audio, at first I thought they'd sent me a joke CD or something, just re-recording the same track over and over. If I listen really hard I can hear subtle differences. Maybe.

Did you ever hear the story of the Emperor's Clothes? I'm starting to feel like the kid in that story.

Hey Dobro,
I was'nt attacking anyone either. I just can't answer when people ask what is the best, it's up to the individual.

What monitors do you use?

I definitely hear the difference, because I've recorded for a long time and have half descent equip.

The Neves were rich and broadband from lows to highs.
The more full - it sounds natural, the less eq and additives you have to bring in to make it sound goood. Eq can introduce phase problems that actually damage the overall signal. Is it that noticable to the untrained ear? No. The untrained ear though belongs to a guy or girl listener that thinks it sounds great, but doesn't know why.

Also as I mentioned earlier that certain pre's sound good on somethings and not others. A female voice may have been incredible on the Neves, but someone like Mark Knopler may sound boomy as hell and sound great on the DBX386. See what I mean. The test is to let you hear the different pres. Not say which is the best, which is not.

My voice has quite a range so, in the low areas I may like a thinner unit, but some balls and low end when I sing high.
That's why I use various units even for voice. That's why it is neat to listen to all these to get a bearing on what they sound like.

I could never try any of those where I am. I have to order anything but the DBX or ART units. They don't rent that quality here.

Use a good pair of headphones and you'll be able to tell I'm sure.
Happy listening.

[Edited by Ears on 09-02-2000 at 21:42]

hi Ears,

I was wondering: do you remember what the joemeeks units sounded like? if they had them on there? what would be your general opinion of the vc1 or vc1q vs the neve or something cheaper like a dbx 386 or 786

Hey Cyan,

Guess what.......they said the Joe Meek wasn't on the CD.

I asked why, and they said it didin't work when they plugged it in.

It was defective. I'm sure they're not all problematic,
but I was curious too because a lot of guys use them in here.
I use a Mindprint Envoice unit as my number one.

It wasn't on the list because it's German. I love it.

http://www.mindprint.com

Back