mic pre for guitar

hdi

Can you use a mic pre-amp in place of a direct box? I'm running my guitar straight into my mixer and was wondering if you could do this to boost the signal... also I have a tube mic pre and was hoping to use that 'warmth' on the guitar.

All the ways you describe can't really get a good sound in my opinion. You say you go directely in your mixer. Don't you have a modeler, or just an amp you can mice?

I"ve fronted my Marshall with an ART Tube MP with good results. I have also used the MP as a direct box for my acoustic guitars in live situations, but I wouldn't recommend it for recording. (as a guitar direct box that is.... unless you're adding it to a mic'd track as well)

GT-6

I have a GT-6 but sometimes I just like the clean sound of a straight guitar. The problem is getting some volume. You can only raise the gain on the mixer so much and you start getting some noise, near it's max setting. I go straight from the mixer into my monitors. I don't have an amp, well, yeah, I do, it's a little Raney but I don't use it.

You can use a mic pre with a line in to bring your guitar up to line level, if you like that direct sound.

Back