mic/pre choices for thin breathy vocal

dontouch

My singing voice is in the line of Siobahn De Mare from the UK band Mono. It tends not to cut through so well on the higher register. I'm working on my technique but also I'd like to have a mic that's less sibilant and would be able to add a little beef on the mids. My current set up: AT-ATM33a (cheap hypercardioid) through a Firepod. I also track drums so ideally mics that excel as vocal and OH (I use At4031s right now)? Style of music is dream-pop, trip-pop, electronica....
Which of the following options should I go for?

At4060
T-funken AK 47
Cascade Fathead
Rode NTK
Neve 1073 DPA
UA 2-610
GR MPV-2
Chandler TG-2
Avalon 2022

Other suggestions are totally welcome. Thanks for your help!

Have a closer look at the Rode NTK, it's a fairly useful mic on vocals. Seems to suit most voices ok.
It's not hugely common to have a vocal mic double as an overhead, because most of the time you would want a large diaphragm mic for vocals which wouldn't give you a nice flat top end that you probably want for overheads - cymbals have a lot of high frequency content in them!

Having said that, if you prefer a large diaphragm mic as an overhead then go for it, but you're well into personal preference territory there and you shouldn't let someone else decide what you like the sound of for you.

People often prefer to use SDCs because of the faster transient response. Simply put, they paint a more accurate picture because they have a smaller diaphragm, which moves faster. That said, a lot of people do use LDCs. The best way to go is to test all the options out, but if you can't and have to pick, I suggest sticking with SDCs.

Have a closer look at the Rode NTK, it's a fairly useful mic on vocals. Seems to suit most voices ok.
It's not hugely common to have a vocal mic double as an overhead, because most of the time you would want a large diaphragm mic for vocals which wouldn't give you a nice flat top end that you probably want for overheads - cymbals have a lot of high frequency content in them!

Having said that, if you prefer a large diaphragm mic as an overhead then go for it, but you're well into personal preference territory there and you shouldn't let someone else decide what you like the sound of for you.

Yeah especially my room is only 13x15x9. The 4031s have given me decent results so I'd probably stick with sm diaphragm. Thanks for your response!

I have not used any of the mics you are considering, but I will mention that I have had good results with the Neumann TLM 103 for warming up a thin voice (mine). I also think that double tracking the vocals and mixing one track in lower than the other is a good technique for getting a thicker sound. You might want to try this before dropping $$$ on new mics.

I don't have experience with those mics. However, I have a Shure KSM44 and I don't notice sibalance problems with it. Might be another option.

I've always used LDC's for my overheads....I like a fatter sound. People tend to compress the transients anyway. I've always had a great sound with my NT2-a's.

I also went with LDC's for my overheads so I can use them for other things....pianos, acoustic guitars, vocals. They were my #1 vocal mic until I picked up an AT4047 several months ago.

I use GR pres and am very pleased with them.

For a microphone - especially with that preamp - I'll go sideways and recommend a large diaphragm dynamic: The excellent Electrovoice RE-20.

Back