Mic Pre and Dynamic mics

bubbagump

I had asked this question over on the mic baord, and they sent me over here. I often hear that dynamic mics only work well with certain pres. Yes, I know, a dynamic will work with just about any pre. But certain pres make dynmaic mics 'wake up'. What is it that makes this so? Is it an impedance deal like with ribbons? Or something else?

Dynamic mics usually need more gain then a condensor. Any preamp that provides a lot of clean, linear gain would be a good choice. Unless your preamp budget is at least $1000 I wouldn't worry too much.

That is sort of what I guessed, but wasn't sure. One does have to crank dynamics more to get acceptable levels and S/N. But I think a Grace 101 might be a good step.... Thanks!

What type of dynamics ,57's SM7's Ev's etc.. what type of sound you looking for{type of music ect}..are these for vocals or instr ?

Don

It is an SM7 I use for vocals. For an example of music, you can check out some clips at http://www.krististrauss.com . It is kind of main stream pop. Kristi has a very clear voice and a lot of mics with high end 'hype' (SP C1, U87s even) get harsh on her. I have found more neutral mics like the AT4050 and the SM7 work best. I prefer the SM7 for the fact that I don't have a great room to track in and that we also track her opera stuff too, so it does well with high SPL.

Last edited:
might wanna check the rnp(stereo @ 475) has 66 db of gain...i use it with my sm7 get a good mic cable and cranking it to 60db wil be no problem 66 gets a little hairy with quiet sources though due to noise floor issues

Nice stuff..Teacher's suggestion is prob. pretty good..I've never used a RNP..I think that the Grace is a little too clean for vox{IMHO}One mans too clean is enoughters prefect:)..I have a pair and they very seldom get used for vocal tracks..I prefere a Great River MPNV to it..Or on the less expensive side a Event EMP1..G.R. is smoother for lack of a better work...Good luck

Don

Back