Mic Pre-Amps

a12stringer

I've come to the conclusion that I really need to pre-amp my microphones for recording as I'm having to have my trim knobs set almost all the way to the maximum setting when recording and am still not getting enough gain. I'm thinking about purchasing a couple of Art Tube MP OPL pre-amps. MF currently has them on sale for $59.95.
The question I have is, has anybody used these and what was your experience?

Really? What kind of mic are you using? The only time I really had volume problems was when I forgot and left the input setting on 'guitar' instead of in-line mic. I'm using the cheapo mic that came with the Fostex package, and I can get plenty of volume out of it....

What about the recording level on the slide bar when you record? Where is that set? And again, is it possible that you are making the same mistake I did with the input selector on the top of the MR8?

Peace,
Jono

I use the ART's, and I like 'em a lot. But I have a large-diaphragm condenser, and that's why I use them. If you're just using dynamic mics, there's really no reason for them. Just get a cheap Behringer mixer with a couple of mic channels, and it will have basic mic preamps onboard.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3121131883/g=home/search/detail/base_id/40745

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3121131883/g=home/search/detail/base_id/35499

Also, if you want just two channels of good quality preamping, check out the M-Audio Audio Buddy

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3121131883/g=live/search/detail/base_id/53872

According to many people much more qualified to comment on this than myself, the ART preamps are not very good. Most seem to prefer the Audio Buddy when discussing low end preamps. I am presently using both of the preamps in my Behringer mixer which cost me $79. So far, I am happy with the results I am getting. I also own an Audio Buddy which I am also happy with. You may want to do some research before you spring for two of the Art Preamps. There is also the Studio Projects VTB 1, which is now going for $130.

As for the question about the kind of mikes I'm using, I have some large diaphragm condenser mikes.
My recording unit is a VF80CDR, so it doesn't have a mic/line switch like the MR-8.
The Faders do not control input gain when recording tracks, those only control output levels for monitoring during the recording phase.

Hey 12Stringer,

I was in the same boat as you were. The dynamic mic going into my Fostex just didn't cut it.

I'm currently using an ART tube pre-amp with my condenser mic (APEX 430) and I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

KF

a12stringer said:
The Faders do not control input gain when recording tracks, those only control output levels for monitoring during the recording phase..

WoW!Thats unbelievable.Fostex dropped the ball on that one.I dont think I've ever owned a recorder that the faders didnt control the Input levels of each track along WITH the Trim knob.......even the old Cassette 4-tracks I owned didnt have that limitation.....thats a first for me!

a12stringer said:
As for the question about the kind of mikes I'm using, I have some large diaphragm condenser mikes.
My recording unit is a VF80CDR, so it doesn't have a mic/line switch like the MR-8.
The Faders do not control input gain when recording tracks, those only control output levels for monitoring during the recording phase.

Are you using phantom power with your condenser mike? If not, you gotta have it to get the full output from that thing. I have the ART OPL tube preamp (bought it several months ago on sale at MF for $59), and I like it alot. Boosts and warms up the signal, plus provides the 48 volts ya need for the condenser. I'm thinking of switching out what I would assume is a very cheap-ass Chinese 12AX7 tube for a nice old NOS RCA 12AX7 or 7025. I bet it will sound even better! One thing to keep in mind with the ART OPL -- you've only got one input and one output to work with. If you ever need two inputs/two outputs simultaneously, you're out of luck. The AudioBuddy has two + two.

Answers to additional questions/comments:

Yes, I have the phantom power own. However, I have read in other threads that others have had similar problems with the pre-amps on Fostex equipment--so it appears to be a common problem.

As for the faders, that is covered in the manual. They only control playback levels. (pp. 16, 28)

As for the tubes. I'd definitely switch to either a Sovtek or a Groove Tube. I used to have an old Alamo Tube amp and when I replaced the 6V6 pair, the 12AX7 preamp/tremelo, and the 5AU3 rectifier, it became a really sweet sounding amp, almost as good as the Fender it copied.

There was a thread on the n-track board about low cost preamps. A gentleman tested numerous inexpensive preamps and recommended the Audio Buddy and Studio Projects (forgot model #). You can check it out at www.fasoft.com.

Back