Mic Pre Amp?

Shaz

I am looking to upgrade my Mic Pre Amp for something better. I currently have an Aphex 207 two channel pre and it sounds ok, but not as warm on vocals as I would like it to be. I am using SP C1 and a Rode NT1 Mics.

This will be mainly for vocals. My budget is around $800 and I would like to get two channels. Any ideas?

Extend your budget a bit and maybe look at the Toft ATC-2. With a touch of compression and a little boost in the low mids you ought to be able to get what you are looking for. I know its a little out of price range, but it's 2 channels of preamps with EQ and compression:)

Only you can answer that

Hey there Shaz,

A good question, but without a ton of additional information the only advice of value people on the forum can give you a list of preamps that fall into your price range.

I'd suggest you first research what you can buy used and new within your budget, then go to music stores, studios, etc. and listen to those preamps with the same signal chain and sources you will be using. Bring your C1 and Rode (and a blank CD) with you to the music store and ask if they will allow you to record some clips. Burn those clips to CD and see which preamps you like best.

Bart

I also think you need to change to a warmer sounding mic. Try the MXL V67 for $99.00 or the Nady ribbon mic which will run you about $199.00 if you buy it as the re-badged Pacific Pro Audio.

Shaz said:
I am looking to upgrade my Mic Pre Amp for something better. I currently have an Aphex 207 two channel pre and it sounds ok, but not as warm on vocals as I would like it to be. I am using SP C1 and a Rode NT1 Mics.

This will be mainly for vocals. My budget is around $800 and I would like to get two channels. Any ideas?

Looking at those 2 mics, and having used the Aphex, I will say that the problem is with those 2 mics. This is probably better for you as there are many good sounding mics that go for 100-300$. A pre-amp is not going to give you a drastic sound difference like a different mic will. Try recording your vocals into a DAW and view the equilizer sotware. Take note of where the greatest frequency emphasis is, and what frequencies you would like to hear more of. Look at some mic test graphs and match up with what you want in "sound" Granted, mic graphs don't tell you how a mic sounds, but they sure tell you "where" and "what frequencies" the mic boosts/cuts. This should be your starting point. Start here and see if you can narrow down some mics to try.

a friend did buy now an

Speck MicPre 5.0 ( around 800 $ )

He can´t stop recommending that.

Here are some test files from the speck:

http://sr2.mytempdir.com/54703

Infos:

nepttune2 -> rme/Multiface -> SAM V8
neptune2 -> Speck 5.0 (with Aktive-Schaltung, HP auf 50 Hz gestellt) -> rme/multiface -> Sam V8

1.) an1x -> rme/Multiface -> SAM V8
2,) an1x -> Speck 5.0 (normale Schaltung)-> rme/multiface -> Sam V8
3.) an1x -> Speck 5.0 (mit Aktive-Schaltung)-> rme/multiface -> Sam V8

Last edited:
Back