mic placement when recording an accoustic

westermane

Hi all,

I know the answer to this question is quite subjective, but I'm sure you guys have tested this out and have some pretty good ideas...

I am playing a Martin D-15 dreadnought and recording with ONE Rode NT3 mic. Any suggestions on where I should be placeing the mic to get a great sound? I've tried having the mic at eyelevel pointing down at about the 15th fret - which has worked fairly well, but I do pick up some breathing while doing that.

What are some of the placement techniques that you have had success with? Keep in mind that I only have one mic to work with!

Thanks for the help!

I have an el cheapo acoustic ($80) which I today tried various mic positions with. I ended up using my MK-319 in a similar position to yours (but rather than eye level it's at mouth level, so I can't breathe hard. :) ) and a dynamic mic (Audio-Technica AT818II) pointing at a steep angle at the bridge. Both ways sound pretty good, and some initial testing makes me think I'm going to mix it with just a touch of the dynamic hard left, and the MK-319 almost center. That gave a nice full sound with a good stereo spread.

lots of people go the other way, pointing the mic up from slightly below the guitar and a about a foot away, that might help you getting rid of the breathing sound. i usually record acoustic sitting down, placing the mic a foot (or sometimes more) out from the 10th fret or so. i then point the mic to the area between the hole and where the neck meets the body.

recently i got a Rode NT-1 for use at home and it does the job very well. and though it picks up a lot of stuff in the background (had to turn off my fridge...), with the placement i just described, i've had no problems at all. i just move around a bit to find that sweet spot.

hope this helps,

micmac

There is no easy way around it. You're going to have to experiment with the equipment and room you have and judge for yourself.

Harmony central had a large article on this very subject.
look in their web site and do a search it may still be there.;)
Broken --do a search here for nt-3 they've been mentioned alot;)

The best way to find the sweet spot that I have found is to get some help and have someone move the mic stand around while you monitor through headphones. When you hear it you'll know.

Good Luck!

Back