Mic Phase?

twostone

How do know when 2 mic, when use together, e.g. up close and room mic on a guitar cab are out of phase? What should I be listening for? thanks

Set the pan of each mic to center. Solo one of them and check the levels. Bring the other mic into the mix and the check levels. If the output dropped with the mics combined, you have a phase problem.

Phase can also sound "swishy" or a but "chorused" if it's close to cancellation but not quite. It's a pretty common problem with micing drums.

So if I hear swishy or chorus affect I have mic phase issues good to know that, because when I tried to record a guitar cab I must of had mic phase I thought I accidently turn my effects unit on this whole time I kept beating myself up knowing dam good and well I had the FX unit off. I really appreciate the info. :cool:

phaqu said:
Try the old 3:1 rule.

Not really applicable to this particular situation. :) You gotta just move the mics around until the sound is acceptable, there will always be some cancellation with two mics at different distances on the same source. Some people also nudge the tracks until they are time-aligned, which cuts a lot of cancellation.

Boys sometimes go through a mic phase, usually around puberty. I guess it's part of that whole curiosity/identity thing. It definitely means you're a fag, but with enough guilt and peer-pressure you'll develop some hetero traits, and you may even start drinking beer and watching NASCAR.

boingoman said:
Some people also nudge the tracks until they are time-aligned, which cuts a lot of cancellation.

and in my opinion the correct way to do it. phase is a proponent of time and that time delay should be corrected.

but then again, that's just my opinion.

boingoman said:
Not really applicable to this particular situation. :) You gotta just move the mics around until the sound is acceptable, there will always be some cancellation with two mics at different distances on the same source. Some people also nudge the tracks until they are time-aligned, which cuts a lot of cancellation.
I use it even on guitar cabs. If my 57 is up on the speaker edge, the 421 is usually 3-6" away (from dead center). Granted it is a different "sound " comming from the 2 different mic placements ( the cone and the edge), but I have yet to have any serious phase problems with that mic placement. But I also try to use just 1 mic on the cab if I can get away with it.

superbeatballer said:
Set the pan of each mic to center. Solo one of them and check the levels. Bring the other mic into the mix and the check levels. If the output dropped with the mics combined, you have a phase problem.

Why does the volume go down?

Brackish said:
Why does the volume go down?
When the opposing signals are summed, they push against eachother causing a null. If the null frequencies occupy portions of the louder dynamics, it will be perceived as a drop in energy/volume.

If you can get yourself to a console with a phase flip button, it's helpful to just sit there A/B'ing what it sounds like when you flop the phase on one of the mics. Or switching the phase of the kick as compared to the overheads. Since audio in general is difficult to describe in words, the best way to know is to hear it for yourself.
There are also XLR Phase Reversal barrels that do the trick.

Imagine two sine waves occuring at the same time. One has a peak at +5 V, the other has a trough at -5V. The output of these two waves is 0 V. This is phase cancellation.

One wave is 180 degrees out of phase from the other (polarity reversed).

Phase considerations could be the most important aspect of the recording process. (This is NOT a fact, just my opinion).

Last edited:
phaqu said:
I use it even on guitar cabs. If my 57 is up on the speaker edge, the 421 is usually 3-6" away (from dead center). Granted it is a different "sound " comming from the 2 different mic placements ( the cone and the edge), but I have yet to have any serious phase problems with that mic placement. But I also try to use just 1 mic on the cab if I can get away with it.
Do you mean 3-6" to the side, not back? That's why. No appreciable time differences.

It's a good idea to check your microphones for phase when you get them. Note and remember any that deviate from the others. Occasionally one will be wired wrong. I've read that some manufacturers use PIN three as positive, but off the top of my head, can't remember which ones.

Back