Mic Not Working. Phantom Power?

dj Happee

My mic (AKG3000) isn't working right now. I have it hooked through my mixing board via XLR to 1/4" cord. I take it is not working because the phantom power needs an XLR to XLR cord to power the mic right?

That's a good assumption, unless the 1/4" you're using is TRS (balanced). I assume that isn't the case since you would have simply used the XLR directly -- so it's quite likely the the XLR to unbalanced 1/4" being the culprit...

Bruce

be careful because if you are going to use this as a dj mic the feedback will kill you and everyone in the room. as a favor to you im willing to trade a nice sm58 straight up for your mic and you wont even have to worry with phantom power any more.

think of all the lives we will save.

Man, this guy is a genius

Wherever we found him, he has the right answer!
Go Bruce go!!!!
Listen to what the man has to say...
That might be your problem...
That mic needs Ph. power.

bye

PC

Yes...listen to me!

Each of you send $5 cash to Bruce Valeriani c/o Blue Bear Sound, Ottawa, ON...

"First we gets da money, den we gets da wimmin!"

Bruce
:D :D

This guy must be an n-tracker.I saw his same post at the fasoft.com board this morning.Bruce,your post implies balanced 1/4" TSR will deliver the 48 volts also.Is this so?On just top of the line consoles only or wherever phantom power is available?
As you say,if you have the cannon connectors,why even bother w/balanced 1/4"?
Just curious though...

Tom

mmmm....five dollars...

Ok...would they be Canadian or US Dollars?
Don´t you prefer this guys to send you pizzas or something more tasty? hehehe...
I can´t send you the money now, but maybe one day I´ll visit you and I will take something really good to eat and some great music to hear...¿ok?
Anyway keep asking these guys for the "knowledge fee" you really deserve (and I´m not being outstated).

PC

NOTE: I really mean it when I say I agree with your concepts. I´m learning a lot here.

I have never tried to use phantom power via a 1/4" TRS... I could very well be wrong... the 1/4" input may not carry phantom power at all... whether it's TRS or not!

I do know that if he was using TS only, he DEFINTELY would not get phantom....

Bruce

For the record, I use phantom power over 1/4" TRS with great success.

HOWEVER, if anyone tries this make damn sure your phantom power is OFF before you plug in your 1/4" jack. Failure to do so can send that 48 volts over the wrong wire and short your preamp. Trust me... i've done it :(

Then again, this solution is only "temporary." Hopefully I can get that XLR patch bay built -someday :)

Back