Mic Noise

VWYF11

Hey, I just recently got the Blue Kiwi. I have been testing it out, and have noticed an intermittent noise. When I first set up the mic I tried using the kiwi cable that came with it and right off the bat it had this noise. I turned off the preamp tried a different cable, the noise instantly went away. I figured it had to be the cable. Everything was fine for a couple weeks and then I started getting the noise again. I figured it might be something with the preamp, so I switched that and everything was fine for a while again. Anyway I started to get the noise again after having switched cables and preamps, so my worst fear is thats it is actually something wrong with the mic. The noise is not really a hum or a buzz but more a helicopter whir. It showed up in a recent recording so i boosted the sound by 30db so it's easy to hear and uploaded it to nowhere radio. Hopefully it works, and if anyone has any idea or has experienced the same problem, please let me know. Thanks.

Here is the link its the one titled mic noise: http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=2782/singles

Can't listen to that here at work, but I am willing to bet (unfortunately) that it is the mic. The only other possibility is that there is an appliance somewhere in your house (or wherever you are recording) that only turns on occassionally, and even then only occassionally causes interference.

I have had this happen with my tube amps in my apartment - the wiring is shit, so coupled with refridgerators going on and off, etc., every couple days the amp sounds great, clean, etc., and on others it's noisy as Hell.

Never experienced a noise problem that fluctuated on a multi-weekly basis though. Id say try and return the mic and swap it if you can. Otherwise, you might be stuck.

If whomever you bought it from won't trade you a new one, I'd say try having the company repair it as well, although they may get it during a period where it isn't causing any problems (which has also happened to me before).

I sent some audio samples to blue and they think it is the mic, so I may just have to have it repaired.

Back