Mic mounting ?

grinder

I often see singers, with a condenser mic, mounted upside down. What is the advantage of doing this?

It looks cool.

It allows for a music stand, etc, under the mic without cables dropping down.

I'm sure there's a legitimate answer to this question, but I have no freakin' idea what it might be...:D

Somebody answered it once in a thread, but I can't remember what the reason was-made sense at the time, though.

I mount my tube mic upside down so that the heat doesn't mess with the capsule...

...and it looks cool :)

It's so the sound doesn't collect in the body and make everything muddy...if it's upside down it'll all dissipate through the grille (but be careful about getting it on your shoes).

Erik713 said:
I mount my tube mic upside down so that the heat doesn't mess with the capsule...

...and it looks cool :)

This is the right answer. There's no real reason to hang a solid-state mic upside down.

in the past it had something to do with the heat from the condenser going into the capsul and ruining it....correct me if im wrong

Actually, in the old days, rightside up tube mics were the norm. Neumann believed that the rising heat from the tube helped drive out moisture and condensation in the capsule and actually extended the life of the capsule.

The main reason studios invert mics is to allow artists to see the music stand easily.

Back