Mic Low in Alt 3/4

robbyrobmusik

When i have the mic signal come in i guess direct from the mic the vocals sound clear, loud and crip. As soon as i press the Mute alt 3/4 button to send the signal to the sound card it goes low really low. like even with the mic fader and the submix vol up it still doesnt sound as good..

is this because of my errors, mixer connection, etc, or is the because the pre-amp the mixer uses isnt that good say as a stand alone pre-amp?

rob

i beleive its all the signals going to alt 3/4. I have to turn them up, louder than when they are not being routed to alt3/4. is this for the most part normal?

rob

"When i have the mic signal come in i guess direct from the mic the vocals sound clear, loud and crisp" Where are you monitoring the vocals here, through the main?

"As soon as i press the Mute alt 3/4 button to send the signal to the sound card it goes low really low." What goes low? The mains?

How does it sound on playback?

TexRoadkill said:
Tell us exactly how things are hooked up and what you are doing. Especially how you are monitoring.

Ok i have everything hooked up like this..

nmodisetupsmallil7.jpg

I am using Fostex active studio monitors, and i am using Audition to record. Now i have noticed some things. Once I start to record in audition that the wav bars that are genereated with noise levels are very low, alomst still a striaght line when i record my audio. Like they move but bearly. Why is the Alt3/4 and the mute button the same? I tried to record with out pressing the alt button and it doenst send the audio back.

NYMorningstar said:
"When i have the mic signal come in i guess direct from the mic the vocals sound clear, loud and crisp" Where are you monitoring the vocals here, through the main?

"As soon as i press the Mute alt 3/4 button to send the signal to the sound card it goes low really low." What goes low? The mains?

How does it sound on playback?

It actually sounds good to me because i have all my faders up almost to the top. So i decided to burn a cd and see how it would sound on another system. I burned it and i put it on my surround system and it sounded very very low. The Volume was 30 on the surround and you could bearly hear it.

I was thinking, can i connect all this to my soundcard say through another port like not the alt3/4 way or is this the best way to have it set up?

check out this sample. this is with the mic (fader1) all the way up and the submix all the way up.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=570179

In your recording software there should be a mixer view and somewhere you can boost the incoming signal. also, with your setup I would record from the record out of the behringer but either way should be ok.

You should try to keep your problem to one thread, it is easier to figure out that way. Also after reading the other thread I'm thinking that you don't have your phantom power switch on. Check that and make sure you do.

NYMorningstar said:
You should try to keep your problem to one thread, it is easier to figure out that way. Also after reading the other thread I'm thinking that you don't have your phantom power switch on. Check that and make sure you do.

you know after i started the other thread i though maybe this would have a problem with the leakage. But in the back of the mixer i do have phantom power on. here is a pic of the wav level when i record.

rob

Attachments

• wav (Small).JPG
    wav (Small).JPG
    52 KB · Views: 45
NYMorningstar said:
Just to see if it solves the problem you should record something from your tape output.

so just take what ever i have plugged to the alt3/4 and connect to tape out?

edit
u guys think it could be mixer?

Last edited:
robbyrobmusik said:
so just take what ever i have plugged to the alt3/4 and connect to tape out?

Yes. That will give you some volume control with the master faders too. I doubt there is a problem with the mixer.

NYMorningstar said:
I doubt there is a problem with the mixer.

your right!!!!!!! More like a problem with the user!!! :D I had my freaking gain all the way down!! I turned up the gain and played a little with the submix fader and BOOM i can record at regular levels!

robbyrobmusik said:
your right!!!!!!! More like a problem with the user!!! :D I had my freaking gain all the way down!! I turned up the gain and played a little with the submix fader and BOOM i can record at regular levels!

Hah well, been there, done that with that exact same mixer.

I think my most common mistake that I always neglect to check first is that I tend to plug the out of my mixer into the input of my A/D.

-jeffrey

They use the Alt 3/4 so you can mix some channels and send them out on a seperate output then the Main Outs. So when you Mute the channel it sends it to the 3/4 buss instead of the Main mix buss.

You should have your playback music set to the Main buss and the vocals set to the 3/4 buss. I believe you can hear both on the Control Room outs but you might need to turn a switch on to do that. Usually the individual Buss faders have a switch to send them to the Main buss.

Make sure your software is setup to only record off the inputs and it's not mixing the stuff you are playing back in with the new tracks. It's basically the same routing scheme you are using on your hardware but you need to set it up on the software mixer also.

robbyrobmusik said:

wow i wouldve just made something up... but hell u came right out and claimed how it was a user error... sweet i admire that... u get a gold star:D
*hands robby gold star* there... enjoy

Back