Mic Line Level with Fostex MR-8

jhaas

Just yesterday I took delivery of a Fostex MR-8, and have a question about the trim setting when using a mic.

I'm just getting started, and currently the only mic I have is an SM-57. What I'm noticing is that with this mic, its almost impossible for me to make the signal peak, even with the trim at its maximum. I'm referring to vocal imput here. If I put the sm-57 in front of my guitar amp, it might be a different story.

My question is, if I put a mixer between the mic and MR8, will the mixer output be a hotter signal?

BTW, I know the SM-57 isn't the best vocal mic, I'm just workin' w/ what I got for now. I'm planning on picking up an SP B-1 in the near future.

Thanks in advance!

John

Yeah you're gonna have to get some kind of preamp for the mr8 because the pres in it are too weak. I had the same problem when I got my Mr8 and ended getting the UB802 mixer. Not the best pres but it helped. I have one for sale if you're interested.

Check this out... It may solve your problem.

4 channel mic preamp with phantom power for $79.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--STOPR4

It's a simple, quiet solid state preamp. Will boost your mic signal up to line level. Mine works very nicely.

To get the cleanest sound, be sure to turn the pre-amp's levels up to near max, then back them off if the peak light is showing. Then you can adjust your input strength on your recorder using the line/mic and/or input level adjusters.

They also make one with 8 channels if you need that many.

I think Nady makes an 8 channel one as well, might be cheaper.

The advantage here over a mixer is...You can simultaneously run up to 4 mics (or 8 if you buy the bigger units) into the pre-amp, and each has it's own 1/4" output to run into your recorder. Then your 4 tracks that can be mixed at your leisure. Whereas most mixers output only to stereo, so you would have to mix live.

None of this matters unless you are simultaneously recording multiple tracks, and I think the MR-8 can only accept two at a time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion Simpleybass!

I decided to go the mixer route and ordered a Behringer UB802 mixer this morning. They come highly recommended, and for $50...

I think that'll meet my needs, for now anyway.

Thanks again,

John

Back