Mic Level is peaking at lowest gain

jay Burd

I am recording a Drum set with 2 co1 condenser mics (in overhead position) in to a Tascam DP32. I am plugging mics directly into the back of my Tascam with the input levels all the way down. Signal is too hot and peaking at times. How can i decrease the signal of my mics going into my tascam?

The only way would be to move the mics away from the kit or buy some in line pads to knock down the signal.

Just to be clear...when you say input levels are all the way down...are you referring to the channel faders...or the Line/Mic Trim control?

The Trim control is what you should be using to set the input level of the mic (in case you are not).
If you have the source set for Mic (probably automatic based on what you plug into the back)...then turn the Trim toward Line to reduce and set the desired Mic source level going into the Tascam DP32...then set your fader level for the channel.

The only way would be to move the mics away from the kit or buy some in line pads to knock down the signal.

This. ^

You can diy a pad very easily with two connectors and three resistors.
You could even modify and some spare cables to be padded, if you want.

Oh, maybe I'm wrong here.
Would the pad have to be after the phantom power?

Thinking about it, I added padded inputs to some of the preamps I have, but the 2x6.8k resistors always tapped in between mic + pad.

I still want to know if he's using the Trim or not...mistakenly turning down the faders, and leaving the Trim up.

I just find it hard to believe that he has the "input all the way down" and the mics are still picking up too hot a signal...especially OH mics.

That fact that he has not responded in over 6 hours....makes me wonder if he had an "oops" moment and forgot about the Trim, and now he's not going to admit it. ;) :D
Hey...we all forget to do something once in awhile.

Couple of pad schematics attached assuming OP ever comes back!

Note, these are approximate dB values. The Rin of the mic amp is unknowable but the attenuation will be pretty accurate for most inputs.
Also the loading on the mic is only approx' 1k2 but most capacitors are not that fussy.

Re phantom power? The worse case inserts only an additional 340 Ohms in the DC line and this should not bother any but the most spook juice hungry or/and voltage fussy microphones.

Dave.

Attachments

• Mic atts.pdf
    99.7 KB · Views: 7
Couple of pad schematics attached assuming OP ever comes back!

Note, these are approximate dB values. The Rin of the mic amp is unknowable but the attenuation will be pretty accurate for most inputs.
Also the loading on the mic is only approx' 1k2 but most capacitors are not that fussy.

Re phantom power? The worse case inserts only an additional 340 Ohms in the DC line and this should not bother any but the most spook juice hungry or/and voltage fussy microphones.

Dave.

Good to know.
I knew I'd heard of people DIYing inline pads before, but arcaxis got me thinking there might be more to those.

Thanks. :)

One reason condensers often have pads built in is that if you overload the mic's internal electronics no amount of attenuation after the mic will fix it. This case doesn't sound like it's the mic that's clipping, but if you get the level controlled at the preamp and it still sounds clipped it may be the mic itself that's the problem. The only cure for that is to lower the SPL or use a different mic.

One reason condensers often have pads built in is that if you overload the mic's internal electronics no amount of attenuation after the mic will fix it. This case doesn't sound like it's the mic that's clipping, but if you get the level controlled at the preamp and it still sounds clipped it may be the mic itself that's the problem. The only cure for that is to lower the SPL or use a different mic.

This is unfortunately very often the case and since the amplifier in the mic is often just a unity gain impedance converter the only proper way to "pad" the mic is a capacitive attenuator network just post the capsule. I wonder how many budget capacitor mic do this?

Dave.

I still want to know if he's using the Trim or not...mistakenly turning down the faders, and leaving the Trim up.

I just find it hard to believe that he has the "input all the way down" and the mics are still picking up too hot a signal...especially OH mics.

That fact that he has not responded in over 6 hours....makes me wonder if he had an "oops" moment and forgot about the Trim, and now he's not going to admit it. ;) :D
Hey...we all forget to do something once in awhile.

Hahah I am using the trim not the faders my man. I just got a loud drummer.

Back