Mic inputs WAY hot. Input at -8 and still clipping

j7b

I had been using a copy of Cubasis that came with my Tascam US-122.

Now using Cubase LE along with an Ardvark sound card.

Miking drums last night... 6 different mics (schure sm 57's and comparable), each placed about 3 inches away from thier respective drum.

Got the input dialied down to -8 (which is as low as it will go) and the each channel is clipping out pretty bad. Can't really move the mics to much farther away from the drums or the sound from the rest of the kit bleeds into the mic to much.

What's the deal? Doesn't seem like there should be a limit to how much you can reduce the input levels.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

John

Is the Aardvark new?

Check the Aardvark' own settings; you may find the inputs are set high, resulting in a new gain boost before the signal even gets to Cubase. That should be easily adjustable.

Are you using compression in some unusual place or sequence?

Any inadvertant signal loops set up?

It's this model here...

http://www.portlandmusiccompany.com/q10.html

Unfortunately there isn't the option to adjust the input levels on the device. Wish there was.

I'm not doing anything fancy really (as far as compression or anything). Just got the mic's plugged into the Aardvark and that's it.

As I'm writing this I'm thinking of some things it might be. Thanks for responding!

some soundcards have a setting for -10 and plus 4 on them.
read your ardvark instructions.
if you cant get it sorted out, you can buy mic pad gadgets on the net
or from a retailer that will pad it down maybe.
but i would be surprised if the ard didnt have some setting for this either in its control panel OR maybe a physical jumper on the card itself.
i would check with ard tech support as well.
peace.

That card has a software control panel mixer, it says on the link you posted:

Features

* Shielded 24-bit converters
* 8 XLR mic inputs
* Phantom power
* 8 _" line inputs
* 10 line outputs
* 4 inserts
* S/PDIF in/out
* MIDI in/out
* Wordclock in/out
* Headphone out
* DSP software mixer
* Drag’n Drop patchbay
* Peak metering
* VU metering
* +4 dBu / -10 dBv
* PCI audio interface

You should be able to access the sound card control mixer either by cubase or check to see if there is a shortcut in the start menu to open it.

Hope this helps.

Are you clipping at the converter?
Where are the input gain controls? Certinly there is something besides a 'DSP software mixer'. That would be too late in the chain to fix an input problem.
?

The thing is, it may not be an input problem at all. If the Aardvark has software gain built into the DSP mixer, it may be taking a signal that is just right and adding gain processing before it enters the Cubase environment. This process would be after the A/D conversion, but before the signal meters in whatever DAW software you are using. Often time the +4 and -10 setting is in the software as well. Basically, this could be less of an "input" problem, but more of a "translation" or "gain stage" problem.

I have a Q10 (Aardvark) and in the DSP mixer the only control of the input signal is the trim and it will not go any lower than -8 as John says, which is still too hot for a lot of situations. The only thing I can do at this point is use compression while tracking. (bummer)

pauxier said:
I have a Q10 (Aardvark) and in the DSP mixer the only control of the input signal is the trim and it will not go any lower than -8 as John says, which is still too hot for a lot of situations.
Is there anything between the Aardvark and source that can control volume? If so try turning that down some.
The only thing I can do at this point is use compression while tracking. (bummer)
I would try not to over-use compression at this point, if you use too much and it may sound too squeezed. Once its recorded like that you cant fix it. You would be then forced to re-record it again.

Nothing if you're using a microphone. I plug right into the pre's on the q10 and it goes to the computer from there. You're right about the compression on tracking but it's the only thing that will come close to controling the sound on input (once again bummer)

Hey John, have you had any luck?

What are you recording?
I take it your only using 1 mic. If your doing vocals maybe you should get an outboard pre-amp, that has some sort of gain control. This way if the signal is too hot, you can then lower the gains on the pre to attenuate the hot signal.

The q10 has 8 pre's that sound pretty good. I don't think buying another one is my answer.

I record all sorts of things with several mics, several DI's, several tracks at once I love this sound card and the interface, I just wish there was a better way to control the input of the 8 discrete mic preamps

Sounds like we're back to padding the input then. I have had to do this with a Precision-8 pre (min. gain is +15, part of the problem). There are mic-level and line-level pads (XLR's in-out with resistors in them (no transformers) so they should be very clean). Some have selectable ranges.
Check out Audio-Technica AT802. Shure makes one with different ranges too.

Back