Mic for outside wedding?????

AL P

Here`s the deal good folks...I`ve been a part time DJ since about 1991...over the years I have entertained in about every setting imaginable, except a higher end wedding "outside"..inside..yes, MANY times..outside, not really (shy of a back yard kinda gig)..anyway..
I typically pass, or say I`m booked if someone is requesting my services for a higher end outside wedding...but...this time it`s my sisters kid..they`ve spent a ridicules amount of money for this wedding, and considering I`ve done ALL my other nieces and nephews weddings, my niece is really really wanting me to do hers as well....so, with that all said..here`s the deal..

only the actually wedding its self is going to be outside, but the reception inside (same location)..my issue is..mic`ing the preacher and the bride/groom during the service outside....

would it be insane to consider a LD condenser? or a givin?...what about wind noise etc? (no, three lapel mics is not gonna happen..LOL)

I have plenty of PA and cabs to push the sound (music for when they walk down the isle..which in this case is a HUGE set of stairs)...but getting their speaking amplified is where I`m in doubt..

thoughts?....
thanks...

Lapel mics are ideal. Second best is shotgun but you either need a few or a dedicated quick operator and they're quite obtrusive.
Maybe the best choice would be an omni dynamic like an EV 635a.

The plus points are that they were designed for outdoor use, they're cheap as chips on ebay, and they are omni so not too fussy about direction.
They were originally reporters microphones so wind shouldn't phase them too much. A neat foam ball might not be a bad idea though, just incase.

Will there be an outdoor puplit? Somewhere you can hide a mic?
If not, maybe you could have one on a low stand pointing straight up? That way it'd cover all speakers without being too obtrusive.

Another option, if you happen to have access to one, is a portable recorder.
I'm not sure how they handle wind but they're very small and some of them have two capsules in XY.

Maybe someone with more experience can give better help.

..Maybe the best choice would be an omni dynamic like an EV 635a.
..(and') 'A neat foam ball might not be a bad idea though, just incase. ...
That'd be my best guess as well. Omini the pattern fits and they have the least wind problems. (It's just the opposite with directional and open grill type studio mics.

Unless you're in a really small town check your Yellow Pages for "broadcast equipment hire" and RENT 3 radio mic clip ons and a battery powered ENG mixer. You'll be glad you did.

Back