MIC for Double Reed (fagot)

ANCH

May be who know how what mic to use with Double Reed (fagot) in live performance, tell me please

"I think "fagot" means bassoon in German or something"

Yep, that's correct. Actually it ought to be "Fagott". I guess in some cases spelling does matter :D

Next thing you know, some poor sackbut player is going to face vulgarity accusations as well. Kind of reminds me of the poor guy who was assailed for using the word "niggardly" (which is a perfectly proper english word meaning "penny-pinching" or "cheap").

But I admit that back in my high school orchestra days, we did get a chuckle handing out the fagotto (italian sp.) parts. Hadn't heard the german variation before.

my lord. i had my foot firmly in my mouth. i thought some g-dogg with a poor grasp of english had to mic an instrument he didn't have much respect for, god knows why. eh.....

why can'nt noone give an answer to the poor guy? he asked very intresting question in what suppose to be a professional forum.

my little help:
in studio situation i would mike it with a large membran condensor mic, that's might be problematic in live situation but since the basson got a relatively low volume it might be the only solution or maybe a small diaphragm condensor mic with tight pattern might work as well.
"applied microphone technology" (www.appliedmic.com) are building mics exactly for this use and I believe you might somthing exactly for this use in their range.
hope it helps
GUY

Please excuse me for my poor english!!! I really sorry.
I'm from Russia and here we call "bassoon" as fagot, now I know
how you name it and it will be more easy for me to find mic for it.
Thank you all.

Anch, what they did to you was unfair and wrong. You are from Russia, you say? Try Oktava MK012 for recording and Shure SM-57 for live stage. If you have more rubles, AKG 414 will work well for both. I have seen stunning stage work done with the 414 and an Irish flute. Another cheap option is Oktava MK219/319, more good Russian microphones. Don't support our economy, support your own for a better life. I use Russian mics because I can't find affordable equivalent American mics, and if I could, they'd be Chinese, anyway. Try your fagot in front of some Oktava mics, you won't be disappointed. I bet your bassoon would love an Oktava ML52 ribbon mic, and you don't even need phantom power. Tell us what you decided. I'm sure many people on this board would like to know what Oktava microphones cost in Russia in $US. Welcome to the board!-Richie

P.S. I'm sorry Anch, I just reviewed your original post, and you're talking about live performance only. It partly depends on the sound equipment you have, how loud you have to be, and what other people you're playing with. The Oktava mics above are mostly for recording. The AKG 414 will work great for small ensembles in smaller places, but is expensive and requires phantom power. Shure SM-57 works fine for cheap. I'm sure there are compareable Russian dynamic mics, but they don't export them here, so I don't know the models or pricing. If you have phantom power, I'm willing to bet that the hypercardioid version of an MK012 (MC012) would work well for a small stage. In a big place or loud, they'll feed back. Then you get an SM-57. Hope this helps-Richie

Last edited:
Oktava prices here in Russia:
Oktava ÌÊ-219À - $149
Oktava MK-220 - $236
Oktava ÌÊ-319À - $174
Îktava ÌË-52 - $269
Îêòàâà ÌÊ 012 - $149

I've decided to use LCM83 for bassoon.
Factory notes: "The NEW LCM 83 of SD Systems is developed to amplify the true natural sound of the bassoon. The bassoon is one of the instruments in an orchestra, that is very difficult to amplify.
With this double mike system you will get a perfect reproduction of the whole instruments sound spectrum!
The top mic (cardioid pattern) is attached in a way that it suppresses the harsh sound coming from the "bell". The middle mic (omni directional pattern) amplifies the lower part of the instrument. A preamp is included: you can adjust the balance between both mics and there is a tone and master volume knob too!."

I like to mic fagotts with a more neutral sounding mic. Condensors work well also. It helps to cut down on the sibilance from the lisp. ;)

ANCH, sorry, we're all a bunch of dirty old men and jump on any opportunity to poke fun. Don't take it personally. I wonder why nobody puts their location into their profile. It does help sometimes. Not only because of misunderstandings, but also because a lot of gear that people might recommend, not knowing your location, is not available in Russia.

Tex, I think we've about covered the subject by now. Plus lisp only applies to English language gays. They don't do that in other languages.

Back