Mic for Boss 864 and Sony MD?

onlyfingers

I have a Sony MX R70 now, and expect to get a digital recorder in the future (Boss 864, probably). What are my choices for mics to use with the MD now, that will also work well with the Boss 864? I record worship group practices to help me master the tunes later. Instruments are: accoustic or amplified archtop guitar, a baby grand piano, and a half dozen singers. No drums, no bass, no need (yet) to do processing later.

Budget? I don't want to go over $200 for mics. (I can live with two mono mics instead of a single stereo mic.)

So, do the veterans have any advice?

The mics used for minidisc recording and studio recording are rather different animals. Most minidisc mics are electrets that have a stereo miniplug and use 9 volt plug-in-power. Studio recording mics, if they require power, use 48V phantom power, and have 3 pin XLR connectors. The mic that comes closest to bridging these two worlds is the AT825 http://www.audio-technica.com./prodpro/profiles/AT825.html however even with it you will be spending a bunch on adapters. And compared to the typical MD microphone the AT is bulky and expensive.

My suggestion instead would be to get a nice tiny inexpensive single point stereo electret like the reactive sounds delta http://reactivesounds.com and then just keep it with your minidisc player and get different mics when you move to bigger gear. The delta is only $79 and that way you still have an easily portable handheld recorder even after you move to something else for more serious recording.

Thanks

Hi, Innovations.

I liked what I saw on the Reactive Technologies site, and have a Delta mic on the way. Thanks for helping out.

Thanks, Innovations

Thanks for the recommendation, Innovations. I got the Delta mic. The only problem is that the direct-attach mic picks up disk whine. I got a short male-to-male cable from Radio Shack that puts the mic about 6" off the MD unit, and that tests out OK. (Got a 16' cable, too.) The set-up is pretty new, so I don't know what it can't do, yet. (Using advice found on this board, I managed to get reasonable quality digital files in my computer. The level is a bit low, so I'm working on that next.)

Back