Mic for Acoustic Blues

opdev

I am trying to make a call on my first mic.

I record mostly acoustic fingersyle and slide. I usually try and record both guitar and voice together but don't mind doing 2 tracks.

I have a Martin 00015 which is a very warm sounding guitar. My voice is ok but not great.

Here are some scenarios.

$299

MXL V69ME (vintage sound?)
Audio Technica 4040
SP C1

Or

buy a SP B1 AND an MXL V67G and use together.

I am assuming I don't need a small condensor since it's just me and the guitar.

buy a SP B1 AND an MXL V67G and use together.

That gets my vote. The B1 is a really good general instrument mic. Also, the 67 will give a dark complement to the more neutral B1. A good inexpensive way to find out if your vox sound better on a darker, colored mic or a more neutral mic.

Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Thanks Dan,

I have spent a few hours (today!) on the listening sessions. It is a very useful site. Thanks for such a great resource.

However, Because I am new to condensors, I have a hard time differentiating the mics.

One other question is that if I want to record vox and guitar at the same time (with one mic) should I get a multi-pattern like a B3?

I like to use my ATM41a (58 ripoff) for blues songs. Its dynamic, but it seems to do the best job I can get on blues.

I don't know this from experience, but I think any mic with a high-end boost may not be flattering to slide guitar because of the slide noise. I could be completely wrong on this but a darker mic--like the Octava MK319 or a dynamic might be better. I'd certainly want to try a bunch of mics before buying if I could.

PS

When I said first mic, I meant condensor. I have an SM57.

I actually think my vocals are ok through it. The acoustis is a little muddy.

For slide, if I use a fingerpick it's not bad at all but the bass can be a little boomy.

I think I'll consider B1, v67 and maybe a cheap SD.

For the small condensors, do you really need a pair for stereo? I only have two inputs on my M-audio 410 and no mixer.

I like the B-1 and the V67. They will procuce very different sound. If you want to record guit and vox simultaneously. consider a mid sized stereo pair. I use a pair of AKG C2000B's, but it would probably work well with a pair of AT 4033 or others.
You back off the X-Y or ORTF or spaced stereo pair, move the mics until the balance is good, and go for it.-Richie

This is good info. think the B1 is a definate right now

I also like the 603 idea. Can I use one of these or do I need a pair.?

I only have 2 inputs to my recorder. One for voice and one for guitar. I would have to buy a mixer if I wanted a stereo pair. Can I just use one SD to start?

One other thing. I bought a v57m on ebay last week befroe I knew anything. This should be here next week. Is this at all similar to the v67?

I don't want to but too many things until I learn what they all do.

So B1, v67 (or my 57) and the MXL603 (one) might be a good place to start.

So I guess my last question is will the v57m sub for the v67 or should I try a 67 as well.

opdev said:
I only have 2 inputs to my recorder. One for voice and one for guitar. I would have to buy a mixer if I wanted a stereo pair.

You mean you have one Mic input an one HiZ guitar input? Then a mix with a stereo pair con't do much. It will still be mono. You could still blend a couple mics to get a different sound, but you won't get stereo anything.

No I have two separate ins.

But after I wrote that I realized that the 2 mics through a mixer would indeed be mono.

Outlaws said:
You mean you have one Mic input an one HiZ guitar input? Then a mix with a stereo pair con't do much. It will still be mono. You could still blend a couple mics to get a different sound, but you won't get stereo anything.

For me this technique (while far from perfect) definitely improved the sound of my electro-acoustic when compared to using a single dynamic. I had the dynamic at about the 12th Fret and then played around with the tone controls of the pickup until I got a nice blend. Like I say, not an ideal situation, but if you only have 1 mic it's worth giving it a go.

As far as I know, original blues recordings (Robert Johnson, Son House, etc) were recorded with one ribbon mic...probably an RCA.
They would move the mic around to find the best balance between guitar and voice.
If this interests you, maybe you could buy one of the best quality mic that you can afford? I would think a large diaphragm condenser might be a worthy solution.

Good luck,
Terry

Someday I'll try to locate an old Ribbon.

For now, I just ordered a B1, v67G, and a 603s. I have to start somewhere.

Also, last week I made an impulse purchase of a v57m and shockmount for $50. (shockmount sells for $30).

I got it yesterday and since I have never recorded through a condensor, I thought it sounded really good. Based on reviews at this site, the 3 mics I ordered will be better than this v57m.

I imagine Mics are like guitars. I have an $800 Martin 00015S. It sounds very nice and warm. My friend just bought a $1600 D-18. It definately sounds fuller and nicer than mine but it also is brighter. Depending on the song, both have advantages.

I ordered from music123. They let you return mics for store credit so if I don't like these I will try again. I could always spend the same money on a single more expensive condensor like a C1 or a C2000B or even a Shure KSM-27 ($300 is about the max I want to spend).

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'll try and post some recordings.

i've got a Martin D15, so i know (and love!) that soft mahogany warmness, although the D size allows mine to get that neil young/martin whomp a little more like a D28 would when i use a flatpick.

in contrast, a buddy has an HD28V, and it's a freaking hand cannon.

i've had great results recording my D15 with a pair of 603s and sometimes the addition of a B1. great acoustic sound (and accurate to my guitar's sound) for under $200.

i don't have a v67, but for a while they were the "in thing" for budget vocal condensors around here.....now they've fallen out of favor somewhat. i think the answer's somewhere in the middle.

the B1 sucks on my voice, but it's quite nice on another friend's voice, so YMMV with that as a vocal mic.

in all, IMO, you've made some wise entry-level choices.

wade

After you've become addicted to recording, you might want to check out the BLUE Baby Bottle. It has been compared to ribbon mics in a couple of reviews, and I've found that it works very well for voice, acoustic guitar, and electric guitar (which are my only applications). It is not cheap at nearly $500, but it is first rate and very versatile.

Good choices on your buys. Not only are they good mics, but they will give you different options for a long time. Post your stuff soon!

Mics are hear

Well I got the mics today. Pretty much like everyone said.

1) MXL 603

The winner on the acoustic. Very focussed and you hear all the string detail. Great for slide and easy to set up.

2) SP B1

Very neutral sounding. Also sounds great on acoustic. Just not as focussed. It misses some detail when fingerpicking but sounds "bigger" than the 603. Great for strumming.

3) MXL v67

Did not try it on acoustic. Sounds pretty decent on my not so decent voice. Warmer than the B1 (not as crisp). However, I also hav an MXL V57M and to me through headphones they sound pretty much identical. The v67 may go back for that reason.

I don' plan on doing anything until after I set up my monitors (wife wrapped them :(

If you are just a tinkerer like me, these mics are all excellent choices.

I think the B1 is going to sound awesome on a low volume guitar amp.

Does anyone else think the v67 and v57 sound very similar?

I only recorded a few sloppy tunes so I'll try and do something I can post after the Holidays.

Thanks all for the great suggestions. (especially for the 603 on acoustic).

Last edited:
Back