Mic face off...

ItzCashew

Ok im stuck with a dilema. I have about $100 to buy a new mic and i wanted to get either one of these MXL MXLV63M Condenser Studio or Behringer B-1 Large-Diaphragm Cardioid Condenser Mic.

Im buying them from musicianfriends. They both get pretty decent reviews but i havent heard first hand from a person who used it before.

What do you want to use it for? What are you recording into/through? I like studio projects better than other cheap-ass mics I've heard. However, if you can save up even another hundred, you'll be able to do much better. And let me be the first to politely suggest that you use the search function to research this topic further.

I would save. Think of it like this.

You buy a $100 mic. You're pretty satisfied with the results, but later you want to upgrade. So now say you decide to spend $200. The totals $300. And for $300 you can get a really decent mic.

But if you must decide on a $100 mic, I would go with a studio projects, but it really depends on what you're using it for.

Since it's a condensor, maybe an MSH-1 mic. They're a lot cheaper, and from what I've heard from samples, they sound a lot better than my $100 mic.

Change of Poets in the dj/hip hop section uses a v63 for vocals. He does an excellent job with that mic. He has a page on soundclick. Just use the artist search on soundclick and search for change of poets.

solo.guitar said:
I would save. Think of it like this.

You buy a $100 mic. You're pretty satisfied with the results, but later you want to upgrade. So now say you decide to spend $200. The totals $300. And for $300 you can get a really decent mic.

But if you must decide on a $100 mic, I would go with a studio projects, but it really depends on what you're using it for.

Since it's a condensor, maybe an MSH-1 mic. They're a lot cheaper, and from what I've heard from samples, they sound a lot better than my $100 mic.

Yup and yup on all counts. Maybe a CAD M177

Back