Mic Damage : Possible?

jelly

I just got a used Rode NT-1 from Ebay and tested it with Art Tube MP connect to my Sb Live! soundcard. Just to test that the mic don't have any damage and working properly because I'm still just a beginnner and still don't have equipments such as mic-stand , etc.
What I'm curious is the sound I get from Rode NT-1 (which I test it by talking to it) sounds dull than I think and heard.. (note that I put it in the right side , the side that has the gold spot) and it's amaze me that is this a condenser mic or a computer microphone? Don't get me wrong, that's just what I thought from a newbie point of view.
So my question is, is there possible that a damaged mic will sounds duller? Or there isn't that kind of case.. I mean if the mic is damage will it produce sound still or what kind of sound will it produce? Is this question confusing you all? :p

Well, my purpose for asking this question is, I'd like to know that the wired or unexpected result from this mic is come from my setup and my misuse "or" come from the mic (ie. damage) itself. Just want to know about the possibility.

It doesn't sound too likely that a dull sound is from damage, although I guess anything is possible.

Coupla things to check --- Are you sure you're connecting your mic pre to the LINE-IN on your soundcard and not the MIC-IN? Phantom power is enabled on your mic pre??

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

it's also well known that the QA for the rode mics are not really up to par..so you may have just got a mic that wasn't up to snuff..

Give yourself some time to become familiar with your new toys, it may take a while to find those often elusive hot spots.

I picked up a new Rodent about a month ago and that baby really sings!As opposed to dull,I hear all sorts of detail.Mine has a warmth and presence that I really like, as well as very low self-noise (something like 16-18 dB,if I remember the spec right).
Try the same mike into another pre or mixer.Did you test-listen to it in the store?Any differences in sound between the store and your rig?These mikes have a pretty solid reputation,so you might be able to determine where the fault lies by swapping out for test purposes everything from the XLR cord on down the signal chain.
Tom

well, I can't test it at the store cuz I ordered it from ebay. Yah I heard a sample in this board once and the sound was so bright that makes me confuse that why mine isn't like that. It doesn't seems like the preamp (Art Tube MP) will color the sound that much... I still don't know why. Oh...

ametth : Can you explain about QA more? I don't quite understand that.

Jelly,
QA would be Quality Assurance, .. This is why such places as music stores exist. You can walk in and see it, feel it and touch it. If you do not like what you just spent $200 dollars on, most reputable dealers will work with you on exchange, credit and/or refund. Newbies looking for heaven at ebay - oftentimes end up buying hell.

Jelly, the problem isn't the ART Tube MP (unless your ART's whacked - does your ART work okay with other mics?), because I put my NT1 through my ART Tube MP all the time - loads of detail and clarity.

Had the opposite problem with my Rodents when I first got them. One seemed much more sensitive than the other and this was leading to settings on the pre that didn't seem right for stereo micing. Turned out it was my tube pre that hadn't quite warmed up.

Back