mic contruction basics (reversing a speaker)

pietro79

Hey there,

Not a fancy question:

I found a couple of tweeters and ripped some mics from telephones in the alley here and felt like turning them into a mics (yeah, probably crappy, but just for "fun")

Is it as simple as soldering the positive to pin 2, and negative to pin 3 of an XLR plug? (ground to pin 1?)

Any other variables I should know about? (For example, one of the tweeters has 25V 2.2mF elyt. cap. going to the positive lead... should I keep it on? Probably not--I suppose it was only needed to work within the system I removed it from...)

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Pietro

I've done it for a nice kick drum mic... it picked up lower frequencies which is what I wanted. Just switch pin's 1 and 2 and it works fine (well for me it did lol :rolleyes: ) Hope it works out :)

pins

applejax said:
Just switch pin's 1 and 2 and it works fine

Do you mean switch pin's 1 and 2 in what I suggested? Things that I've read always seem to mention that pin 2 is hot and pin 1 is ground...

Maybe I'm confusing things... this is what I've understood:
XLR pins:
1=ground
2=hot/positive
3=cold/negative

right? wrong? tell me how, please!

Thanks for your patience!

pietro

Hmmm

I'd get a 4/8 ohm to 200/600 ohm transformer with a center tap on the secondary. A reversed output transformer.

Then by placing both speaker wires to the 4/8 ohm side and the secondary center tap to the ground pin on the XLR you can have a balanced 200/600 ohm line out for your mic. You can then add a ground lift switch on the ground side of the speaker side transformer for ground lifting. Plus the Xformer steps up the signal.

I have a dozen or so of these transformers made by UTC if anyone makes the right offer...

Back