Mic choice narrowed - still need advice

ryguy76

Hey,

So I am looking at upgrading my front end. I currently have a SP VTB-1 pre and a SP C1 mic.

I am getting the hang of recording and am wanting to do a full length album of my material. Up until now, I've just recorded single songs here and there, some with good results and some with mediocre. I have been getting into writing after taking a few years of for schooling.

I am looking at a middle of the road setup and have narrowed my choices down. The problem is I live in a small town without a good music store and it will be difficult to personally try the mics I am interested in, but I'm workin' on it.

I am looking at the Rode K2, Blue babybottle and bluebird, soundelux U195 and the AT 4050.

I am thinking about either the Grace 101 and the RNC, or the Joe Meek 1Q.

What I am hoping for is someone to listen to 2 songs I posted, (both are very different from each other but represent both ends of my writing spectrum) and suggest what you would push me toward in that price range for pre and mic. Can even be one I didn't mention.

--makeshift webpage--> http://futureboy76.googlepages.com/

Thank you,
Ryan

P.S. I have used the search functions here and have read most threads on the gear mentioned. :)

Reactions: SRR
Ryan, Nice sound. Nice voice.

First song is very good, style is not my fav, but you do it well. I REALLY like "My Name". I've listened to it 6 times during the writing of this post, and I can say that I would buy your album if it had mostly this type of writing. The mix sounds very good to me. Background vocals are nice too. Did you do them? What are doing on these songs?

I had the same problem picking my mic and preamp a few months ago. I ended up with a TB1 and JoeMeek threeQ, both B Stock items only because I could not afford the T3 and oneQ. I love them both. When I did a test I will upgrade to these next year after I get my studio accoustically finished.

I have a friend who's recorded over 20 albums in the UK and she is always helping me with my vocals. She always says to strive for the mic that really shows off the voice. Not changes or colors it much. Pick the mic that brings out the true sound of your natural voice. The C1 sounds great I think. If you have someone who can listen to your voice without a mic and then with the mic, have them tell you if they match. When I got my TB1 and threeQ I did a vocal only test and had my wife stand outside the door to see if she could tell which was "live" or "recorded". With the other Stedman mic I had, she could always tell, but with this setup she couldn't.

Have you been happy with the Studio Projects equipment? If so, you might want to see if they have a T3 B stock for you to try or maybe even the new T3.

What do you want to sound different? That may help everyone with their comments.

I really like the way my threeQ works. I know the oneQ will be awesome.

Just a few thoughts.

Ryan, I liked, "My Name". Good work on the instruments. Your voice is easy on the ears. If I were to add anything it would be some harmony especially on the bridge. Nice job!

T3 would work well on your voice, as would a 4047 or maybe a Rode NTK. There are so many mics out there for your voice as it presents no challenge save the de essing which was negligible anyway. Sounds good kid and by the way if you are future boy, what are you now?

Thanks for the feedback and kind words, I was thinking of the T3 so I will try it out. I think I can wrangle the big music store in the city to send me 4 or 5 mics up so I can try them and send the ones I don't like back. So many choices. I want a good mic, but I also want other gear too, so I can only get mid-range quality like the ones mentioned. The U195 is probably the upper limit.

Anything wrong with combining a warm tube mic with a prestine pre like the grace? or would the oneQ be most ideal to get a little grit, but still achieve an intimate sound for ballads?

The mix sounds very good to me. Background vocals are nice too. Did you do them? What are doing on these songs?

Earlwgreen,

I am playing guitars, synth, and all vocals on "washed away," (recorded in a studio). On "my name," (recorded in my bedroom), I did everything. Drum machine was used though.

There are so many mics out there for your voice as it presents no challenge save the de essing which was negligible anyway. Sounds good kid and by the way if you are future boy, what are you now?

Big Kenny,

Sibilance is definetely something I want to address with a new mic selection.
I don't think my voice is overly sibilant, but I don't like the sharp es's that sneak through sometimes.

The oneQ has a built in de-esser which is nice.

Lol about the futureboy thing... it's a reference to a lyric by one of my fav writers.

Keep the suggestions coming.

If you have $600 for a pre, I'd consider saving a little more and looking at the offerings from Speck, Sebatron, Chameleon Labs, UA, True, DAV, Hamptone--depending on what sound you are looking for. I sold an older Meek VcQ1 and got a Seb a couple of years ago. Still extremely glad I did.

I have looked at the True P-solo, but haven't even heard of the other brands you mentioned. It doesn't appear that my local stores carry them for me to test them either.

ryguy76 said:
I have looked at the True P-solo, but haven't even heard of the other brands you mentioned. It doesn't appear that my local stores carry them for me to test them either.

Just got a P-Solo last week and have been putting it to the test. I'm a happy camper with my first "real" pre. Clean, low-noise, detailed pre. I've done a few test vocal tracks, and used the DI with an electric guitar - both with great results. I'm actually thinking about grabbing another one for stereo miking. I've used my CAD M177 and SM57 with it so far, and am looking for a tube condenser.

I think the vocal mic you're using on those songs sounds like there's some funky pixie dust going on in the upper regions, and it's causing your voice to sound unnatural and way too sibilant ... and it's somewhat weak in the mids (EDIT: I just noticed from your post that you're using a C-1. That would explain a lot).

I'd really like to hear your voice on something really mellow, ala Jeff Tweaty. Would like to hear some actual midrange in there and hear what your voice might sound like without the 12K fairy dust on Meth.

I'm thinking SM7. As for condensers, I might try an Audio Technica 4047 or a Shure KSM44. Either of those would give your voice just a hint of high end juice, but without sounding unnatural ... keeping the midrange intact.

The SP C1 was only used on the 2nd song, ("my name"). The first was recorded in a pro studio and I can't remember what the engineer used. At the time of recording "washed away," I wasn't at all into learning recording for myself so I never paid much attention to the mic he chose. Just sang into it.

I actually was listening to several mics at Listening Sessions, and was pretty impressed with the 4047 on acoustic, therefore if it works for my voice too, that would be sweet!!

tdukex said:
If you have $600 for a pre, I'd consider saving a little more and looking at the offerings from Speck, Sebatron, Chameleon Labs, UA, True, DAV, Hamptone--depending on what sound you are looking for. I sold an older Meek VcQ1 and got a Seb a couple of years ago. Still extremely glad I did.
IMHO:
Def second the recommendations for the Chameleon Labs (7602) and for UA (I have a m610)-- these are awesome preamps with very different sounds. They also have eq to varying degrees (the 7602 has three bands and a variable low cut, the m610 has basic low cut and high boost), which make them really useful for shaping sounds. Great value for the money and I've found that better preamps make mixing much easier.
As far as mics, the 4047 is supposed to be a great mic, also favored by many for drums and overheads.
I also have used an NTK which I liked, but sold it when I got my Karma K-58 Tube-- these are on sale right now on their site: www.karmamics.com
I also just got a BLUE Bluebird, which I love so far, but haven't gotten a real good chance to test out.
Good luck-- gear acquisition is fun! :)

The recordings sound very good (though I'd ease up on the verb all around), but I wouldn't say these other mics are going to be an upgrade of the C-1, different yes, but no way of telling if they will be better. If you want a different flavor, then go for it, but don't be disappointed if there's no or little improvment in quality. You're already ahead of the game producing good sounding recordings.

Thanks EDAN,

I had no recording control over the first song, I just put it on here for a sample of my sound. The second song, however, was my first attempt at ever recording a song. I had just bought my roland 2400 and that was the result. There are several things I'd change on it, but that's the way it goes. I actually cut back heavily on the verbs at mixdown from what they were. :)

Are you hearing too much verb across the entire mix, or just vocals?

I was talking about the other song, I didn't know it was done in a real studio until after I posted. If this is your first shot at recording then you are WAYYYY ahead of the curve as there are many many people who have been doing this for years and aren't producing anything close to the quality of your demo. My advice would simply be keep up the good work, experiment and have fun, you're a natural at recording.

Reactions: SRR
Keep the C1...but get a GR1nv preamp...I have a version of that neve preamp with that mic and that alone really made a vast improvement...the C414 I aquired didnt make that much of an improvement.

Thanks for the kinds words, edan.

Why does there have to be so many frickin' choices out there. It sure makes it hard to choose. :)

My concern with buying a preamp is not the sound of the individual tracks alone... Sure that's nice and all, but more importantly is how the tracks sit and mix together once that same preamp has been used to track everything.

I'm guessing that most $1000 preamps (and up) will keep the mix from getting "clouded" as opposed with a preamp such as the Tampa or equivalent. Right...Wrong?

I just saw a BLUE promo @ sweetwater saying if you buy the KIWI, you get a free Robbie preamp. I haven't heard anything bad about either of those products. But that seems like a pretty good deal.

Back