Mic and Preamp on a budget advice.

machinetodd

I have about $500 to spend, and I am looking to get a new Condensor Mic and a new preamp.
Currently I am looking at:

Preamps
ART Pro MPA II
Golden Age Pre 73

Mics
Rode NT1A
Blue Spark

Any advice is welcome, but please keep in mind I am on a budget and fully aware that Im not getting top of the line gear like Neuman and Avalon(soon just not right now)

I am looking for an "all purpose Vocal Mic and Pre" Vocals is all I am concerned with(Male and female)

If it is of concern I have a Yamaha N12 interface/mixing board which I love, and all signals will pass through it.

Thanks Guys

You could get as little as a small mixer with phanton power like a 4 or 6 track Peavey for $100 give or take easy enough. I recently bought an Apex 435 for 79.00 brand new too. For me it's a well working setup until I can afford better stuff in the future. I actually have the condenser mic going into my Behringer Europower mixer that we use for live shows, but it works well as a mixer with built in phantom power too.

Pre-73 is pretty versitile. Clean it sounds nice, and warmed up it sounds really nice. For vocals it's great, and for drums and guitar parts. I'd say it's a really good choice for a first/only preamp.

I'm not a mic expert, and haven't used any of those so I can't comment on that.

Yup, it colors the tone. But with the input and output transformers and pots, you can also make it pretty clean too. That's one of the reasons I like it so much is that it has that versatility. It's not as clean my RNP when cleaned up all the way, but the color is minimal. Colored it sounds awesome.

I'm actually getting a second so I can track stereo guitars, kick and snare. No transformer upgrade and I love it.

Have fun!

Back