Mic and more stuff for recording flute and piano

RobinHood_3

Hey there!
I'm just beginning with recording my flute plays and later my piano.
I have made a youtube channel where I'm gonna put on my Covers that i make.
I recorded the sound with my headset microphone(Tritton ax 720) and recorded the videowih my webcam, because my dad took the camera._.

The question is:
Do you have suggestions on what of type of mic I should use?
Also I'm looking for more stuff like holder, camera and camera holder and software to use.

Or any more thing I need?

Thanks in advance!!

You need an audio interface. That way you can connect a microphone to your computer. For flute, I reckon a condenser microphone would capture the essence of your flute in the most accurate way. It is going to cost some money though.

You need an audio interface. That way you can connect a microphone to your computer. For flute, I reckon a condenser microphone would capture the essence of your flute in the most accurate way. It is going to cost some money though.

Can jou explain what a audio interface is? or link me to a tutorial?

In simplest terms, an audio interface connects your microphones and other sound sources to your computer - it bridges the gap from analog to digital. Audio interfaces are commonly equipped with mic preamps, line inputs, and a variety of other input options.

Hi Robin,
For flute where people tend to move about a stereo recording is a good idea (Google "CO-I stereo recording) and the Oz company Rode have just released a pair of mics, the M5*s at £169 which is stonking value for two mics anyway but Rode has a very good industry rep'

You CAN get cheaper, Behringer do a a pair of mics for a third of that and by some accounts they are quite good but go for the Ozzies if you can, they have a 10yr warranty to boot!

For an interface I am going to bore the A off everybody and once again suggest the Native Instuments KA6! This will not only give you a VERY stable device but two mic inputs and, useful I think for video work, two more line inputs making for 4 track recording.

What software are/thinking of using? No rush! There are at least two versions of Sony Vegas trials you can download and play with each for a month for free. Next I know of Camtasia. Again, you can download a trial. Then there is cheaper software from the likes of MAGIX. I think the very good value Reaper does some video but I don't know how useful that is? The KA6 comes with a light version of the excellent Cubase and there is some video functionality in that as well. Again, Cubase can be trialed.

*Reviewed in Feb 2014 Sound on Sound.

Dave.

Thanks for all the information!
I have been searching for some good components and found these:
A microphone AKG perception 420 - 255€
Audio USB roland UA22 duo capture ex black for 149
and a support for 29€

I also was looking at this micrphone, the akg c214, but It's a little bit too expensive.

Why the AKG - the mics suggested will do pretty well, and are great value for money. Spend more money on mics once you've learned how to squeeze the best out of something else.

Mics are very much like choosing clothes. You buy what you like, and don't buy something just because other people wear them. Mics are personal, and if you play the flute - use this a guide. Would you spend a fortune on a better make unless you knew it would suit you? Mics, like instruments have a characteristic sound. Spending too much and then discovering you don't like the sound is sadly quite common. It's often a case of starting with a cheap condenser, and trying it out. Plenty of decent audio interfaces but double check you get one with phantom power.

Thanks for all the information!
I have been searching for some good components and found these:
A microphone AKG perception 420 - 255€
Audio USB roland UA22 duo capture ex black for 149
and a support for 29€

I also was looking at this micrphone, the akg c214, but It's a little bit too expensive.

Those with more knowledge of mics and live recording will doubtless chip in but I would have thought a dual diaphragm, multi-pattern mic was a bit of an overkill at your stage of the game?

I have just thought, you can get some nice ribbons quite cheaply these
days. Others again might like to comment.

Dave.

Without knowing your exact budget, and exactly what you are wanting to accomplish, I'm going out on a limb here and going to assume a couple of things.

You're a young person, probably a student and living at home and money is a big factor that you don't have a lot of. You're wanting to post to Youtube, but really aren't in to it to record the next big hit. Piano and flute is pretty much what you expect and want to do. You at the moment are using a webcam to produce your videos. Is that about it? Assuming these assumptions are correct and also assuming you may wish to purchase a better camera down the road. First thing first. Let's work with what you have, and as your ability and knowledge grows so can your equipment list.

I wouldn't even worry about a dedicated audio interface at this point. If it were me, I would get a USB power condenser microphone. Something like the Behringer C-1U. Behringer: STUDIO CONDENSER MICROPHONE C-1U

You can hook it right up to your computer, and it should record the audio right in to your webcam feed.

Get a mic stand with a heavy base to support your new mic.

You'll want to place your mic just above head high and about 2 to 3 feet away. That would be half to just less than a meter if you are on the metric system. You want to point the mic down towards your flute about half way down the instrument. The flute is a cool instrument and the sound comes from the entire length so you want to be able to capture not only what is coming off the mouth piece, but from the holes as well. The flute is also a very dynamic instrument and you're going to get notes louder than others at times, but experimenting and experience will teach you a lot on where and how to position the mic to get the best result under your conditions and in your untreated room.

Later down the road, if and when you want more professional results, then I'd worry about getting an audio interface, a more expensive camera, good editing software, better microphones etc. In the meantime, hang out around here and forums like this one, and even ones that lean more towards video. Soak up the knowledge that is freely available. Learn the ins and outs. What mics do what, what interfaces do what. What is SMTPE timecode and how does it relate to video, where do I place my mics etc. etc. Then when you are more informed you can make better calls on the path you wish to travel.

With that said, welcome to the forums, happy recording and good luck to you. One last thing, don't be afraid to ask your questions. The only true dumb questions are the ones you refuse to ask.

Thanks man! I was just looking around;)

I am also thinking to get a cheaper USB condenser microphone. Max 100€
I had recorded the video with my webcam because my father took the camera on the day I needed it._.

Do you now any other forums? Or is this not allowed?

For video editing I am good, I now the things of it, it's only the music part. I have been using Audacity till now, and it's really easy.

There's nothing wrong with Audacity at all. I have several friends in radio that use it on a daily bases. I also have a buddy that just bought one of the Behringer C-1U mics and he loves it. Like you, he doesn't need or want a professional studio sound so the mic is perfect for him. It doesn't sound bad at all really. I've heard it and you could do a lot worse.
As far as forums go, just google that type forums you are looking for and you'll have no shortage to choose from. I'm totally blind so don't hang at any of the video forums, so can't help you there.

Personally, I'd avoid USB mics. They're very handy, but few have any facility to adjust input gain, so they tend to be preset for close miking, and as such, are a bit limited for recording - flutes and pianos, recorded at the more classical sound distance will be almost certain to not offer optimum signal to noise, and you'll probably have to normalise it, which spoils the noise figures. Don't forget that if you buy from some dealers, you can happily send stuff back if you don't like them. The Distance Selling Regs mean you can send anything back, but some dealers kind of unofficially hate this. Thomann, for example, will happily take returns, and they make a feature of it. It costs you return postage of course, but you can buy and return.

If you can find a used SE2200a, that would be my recommendation. It was my first microphone and I was pretty much in the same situation you are in (except I was going to record acoustic guitar). You're still going to need an interface. If I were you, I would save up some money. You're a pretty good flute player (I checked out your youtube channel) so you're going to want to have a decent setup that will last.

I prefer buying a new microfone.
Also what audio interfaces do you recommend? I hav been looking into the roland ua 22 duo capture ex for 149€

You are going to get a lot more for your money if you buy it used.. So why not?

As for audio interface, I would recommend Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for your use, but the Roland Duo Capture seems good too. Can't go wrong with that.

I can get that microfone for 150€ is that worth?
I also can get a package with the roland duo recorder ex, the se2000 mk2 microphone and a headset for 241€

I can get that microfone for 150€ is that worth?
I also can get a package with the roland duo recorder ex, the se2000 mk2 microphone and a headset for 241€

In that case, if I were you, and if you really mean the Roland Duo Capture, I would save up and get that package. The se2000 looks like a great mic for your purpose.

I am really of thinking to but that package, the audio interface was recommended from some people I now. If you now any other great packages I will see them too!
I wil still need to buy the support and the pop filter.

Back