Mic and Interface combination

lasagne

I fancy Fancy
Hi fellas

I'm still a baby at recording, and currently use a Zoom all in one machine with a SP B1 mic. I tend to record vox, acoustic guitar and some electric guitar.

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade a little, and am potentially looking at the Presonus Firebox and an SM7. I only need 1 input at a time so I think the Firebox is fine for me, and my vocals are always very sibilant, so I'm guessing that a good dynamic will help ? I've done a fair bit of research on this forum and others, but I'm particularly interested in opinions on the SM7 / Firebox combination.

I've read that the SM7 needs a lot of gain - would the Firebox provide this ?

Any advice really appreciated.

the firebox would definately suit your needs
my motu has only 45 db of gain and it is more than enough and i believe the firebox has 50+ db
something worth looking at possibly is the new mackie satellite?

Maybe it just depends on what is being recorded. I only record loud distorted guitars with mine. Maybe the louder volumes don't require as much gain.

wow, i've never had any gain issues with an sm57..

i have 4 of them, i use them everywhere, never a single thought about them being too cold.

i find that very unusual that something can't provide enough gain for a 57. last week, we were doing an outdoors thing, and we mic'ed up the kit. i had to put pads on everything, i couldnt turn the gain down enough... of course, this drummer was a nut too..

Back