mic, amp, etc for live shows

gullyjewelz

I'm sure I will find much info on google (headed there next) but anyone have prefered selections on live show equipment?
Wireless mics?
chorded mics?
amps/speakers?
mixboard?
brand names?
any other stage props: (preferably portable as hell)
smoke making machine
special lighting

preciate the knowledge and wisdom
thanks

I'm sure I will find much info on google (headed there next) but anyone have prefered selections on live show equipment?
Wireless mics?
chorded mics?
amps/speakers?
mixboard?
brand names?
any other stage props: (preferably portable as hell)
smoke making machine
special lighting

preciate the knowledge and wisdom
thanks

It really depends on the place where you are playing. They might have an in-house PA/mics and everything you need. They might not. You really need to call ahead and find out. Smoke machines and lighting usually are brought by you, house stuff is usually pretty basic.

If not, Check out a powered mixer like the Yamaha EMX 312/512, and check out passive super light speakers like Peavey PR15's, that setup will run you about a grand. I would get a wireless mic, def. check out the sennheiser stuff, its a little more expensive, but so much better than anything priced around the same. MBT lighting and smoke machines are nice, and really affordable.

all in all, if you want something that's portable and nice, look around spending about 2 g's. That will probably get you started.

Tyler :drunk:

I dont really have any comparisons to throw out for models and such, but make sure if your going to get PA equip to go bigger than needed. Also start putting it out to people so you can rent it out or supply sound for some shows. You can make your money back and promote yourself as an artist at the same time.

One thing...if you're getting into wireless you'll be jumping into the midst of some new FCC regulations.

Most of the wireless vendors such as Shure, Nady, etc. have information on their websites regarding this, and some of the folks here (but not me!) will be able to help you sort it all out...

There almost isn't a place you can fire off a smoke machine any more with out setting off the fire alarm (particle detectors now) and be prepared to be fined!

You can bypass all of this if you have a permit to turn off the alarms for the time of your show but is it worth the red tape?

:cool:

There almost isn't a place you can fire off a smoke machine any more with out setting off the fire alarm (particle detectors now) and be prepared to be fined!

You can bypass all of this if you have a permit to turn off the alarms for the time of your show but is it worth the red tape?

:cool:

I smell an obsession... can you say "pyromaniac?":D

Back