mic advice

bstarstudios

Useless Thoughts
looking at 5 mics, would be cool to get some advice/reviews from people who know tem or have used them.

Mics im looking at:
Apex 205 Ribbon (100)
Apex 210 Ribbon (120)
Joe Meek JM47a (150)
Joe Meek JM27 (60)
MXL 3000 (150)

my current mis line up:
MXL v88
SM57x2

mainly looking for another mic on acoustics and clean/somewhat overdriven guitar amps.

my current thoughts are the JM47a but ive heard some good things about the others as well.

advice?

Same as your other post Get the two Ribbon microphones they are at a good price and they'll be great on micing amps.

thanks moresound. i was really diggin the apex so i think ill of for one of those either the 205 or 210 (advice?), and perhaps a sdc for acoustics to go with my mxl.

Guess your right! It's late here. That one should do ya .... or a RSM 4 by nady$70. or the MXL $90. ribbon

If you go for the ribbon mics, you're going to have to come up with a decent preamp.
You want 70dB of clean gain.
Guess your right! It's late here. That one should do ya .... or a RSM 4 by nady$70. or the MXL $90. ribbon
I'd make that the Nady RSM 5. The RSM 4 is pretty dark.

hmm as far as preamps go un running the art studio mp (the cheapie) until my friend comes through with the studio projects pre amp.

also add the studio projects b-1 to stuff im looking at. but the apex 210 looks solid for 120

that makes sense. the 210 can handle slightly higher spl's but not enough of a difference to really be noticeable between the two it looks like. i guess its an either or thing. but the 205 is solid for 100.

Back