mic a snare

given all the replies.....

given all the replies i think this might be your best option.

1) download a drum-trig plugin
2) download what you think is the ideal snare sample
3) record your unsatisfactory snare sound.
4) replace your snare hits via drum-trig.

personally i think you should listen to the comments and give more concern with the actual source sound, but i think you just want some quick fix that will yield an OK result. If so then i think the above will be your best bet.
hear are a few links to get you on your way.

http://www.stormrecordingstudio.co.uk/

this snare sounds good, but they want you to register before you download, there are other sites that will just allow you to download em.
http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/samplesViewSingle.php?id=439

remember to thank and/or donate the creators of all freeware and sample.:D

OK I know what tuning is. I'm not really a drummer but I do have rhythm and I can do it. I like how the drum is tuned now. Whether or not it is the proper way to tune it: don't know and not too concerned.

I was reading some other posts and I think what is missing is a preamp.

Do you guys think that is the case? I just plug the mic into my MBox2 interface, currently.

If you aren't concerned, why the hell should anybody else be? Listen to what Rami is telling you. Start at the beginning.

In terms of importance to obtaining a good sound:

1) talent
2) gear
3) room
4) microphone
5) preamp

It's a fool's errand to be worrying about 4) and 5) without addressing 1), 2), and 3) first.

OK the snare is brand new and it sounds great.

what I don't know is why my reason sampled drums are so much louder and clearer than my recording of just a snare by itself with the mic really close (an inch or two away).

why's there no volume?

Obviously, I want it to sound better. Are you saying that adjusting the snare with a drum key is going to take care of this no volume problem?

it seams to me, to be a micing issue or maybe the room. anybody got an info on rooms?

I don't know, you guys are the experts. If you say it's a tuning issue I'll look into it.

Should we assume the level indicator is into the 'yellow zone' while hitting the drum with average hits?

You're trying to record a marching snare with the standard kit snare config, which assumes overheads. This is why I suggested a condenser a couple feet away.

Run "normalize", bring up the volume on the track, etc.

OK the snare is brand new and it sounds great.

what I don't know is why my reason sampled drums are so much louder and clearer than my recording of just a snare by itself with the mic really close (an inch or two away).

why's there no volume?

Obviously, I want it to sound better. Are you saying that adjusting the snare with a drum key is going to take care of this no volume problem?

it seams to me, to be a micing issue or maybe the room. anybody got an info on rooms?

I don't know, you guys are the experts. If you say it's a tuning issue I'll look into it.

So, you're saying it sounds as good as your sampled tracks, but just lower??? So, turn it up. If it really is simply a volume issue.

Back