Metronome and other tracks records on current recording track

Vranjes

Hello,
First of all, I'm new to the forum (and pretty much home recording as well), so nice to meet you all!

I am currently trying to record a track with Cubase Elements 7. I connect a Lexicon Lambda device to my PC, attatch a keyboard to line 1, set things up in Cubase, and when I try to record with metronome on as a guide, it goes to the recorded audio along with the keyboard sound.
Notes:
-I have checked 'stereo mix' and it is not activated. Neither other recording devices appart from my Lexicon Lambda.
-I have tried with Lexicon ASIO drivers, ASIO4all v2, and the problem remains
-Other tracks I may play while recording also get mixed on my new recorded track. I have to mute them to avoid that.

What am I doing wrong? Thank you in advance!

Strange. do you by chance have a microphone connected to another input (or keyboard) that could pick up speaker bleed or something? Otherwise it sounds like Cubase is somehow recording your headphone mix instead of your input directly.

Thanks for your reply.
No, I have no other devices attatched. Indeed I have checked and recording just jack noise will also mix metronome clicks in the recording.
Otherwise it sounds like Cubase is somehow recording your headphone mix instead of your input directly.
That is exactly what seems to happen, but I have no clue what am I doing wrong and how can I avoit it...

I'll explain think the only way I found to get through this:
Using the Generic low latency ASIO driver, I'm able to select my headphones on my computer as line out. That way, click from metronome doesn't get into the recording track. I think that might give as well some problems, as I would not be able to hear some instruments like a keyboard while playing, I asume, but that could be fixed maybe other way.
The problem seems to be in my Lexicon Lambda/ASIO drivers it uses... anyway, if you have any idea, please let me know. Thanks!

Hello Vranjes,

You do not need to use the Generic Low latency driver. You should be able to record with the Lexicon driver.
Which is a much better driver and will give you lower latency.
It seems you have not set up your VST connections properly.
Please read the following Knowledge Base article:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/suppor...-up-a-driver-for-audio-output-pc-windows.html

Once you have selected the Lexicon ASIO driver in Cubase.
You have to set-up the VST connections:

Devices > VST connections
Inputs > Delete the default stereo input and create a new one.
On Cubase.- Create a new stereo track and select the stereo input on the inspector.
The problem might also be from the internal routing of your interface.
Make sure you have the knob all the way to playback.
And also that the channel that you are using to record is not the same as the playback one.
You can adjust it on the front panel of your interface.

Best regards,
GN

Hi, and thanks for your reply.
I followed all the previous steps but I can't manage to get the other tracks out of the track I'm recording. Indeed, whatever sound I hear from Cubase, will make leds pop on the channel I'm recording, as it doesn't seem to separate them from the sound I record with a keyboard for example. Any thoughts?

Hello,

Hi, and thanks for your reply.
I followed all the previous steps but I can't manage to get the other tracks out of the track I'm recording. Indeed, whatever sound I hear from Cubase, will make leds pop on the channel I'm recording, as it doesn't seem to separate them from the sound I record with a keyboard for example. Any thoughts?

Do you have direct monitoring enabled?
On you interface there is a knob to switch between direct and playback, where is it, have you tried moving it completely to playback?

Best regards,
GN

Hello, all new to this forum (and to home recording aswel) I have the same issue and could'nt find any help yet... How did it finally go here? Quite old post :)
Here is details about my own problem (posted last month on Steinberg forum whitout any success
. So if anyone is inspired ! Thanks

Playback recording in new track while recording audio

Postby timodoig » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:26 pm
Hello, I can't record a track without recording the playback in the same time
Not sure if it's hard- of software or a configuration problem (new user) I've been trough forums without any success... Hope someone will be able to help with this new device.

I'm using a recent Windows 8.1 64bits DELL laptop
Cubase Element 8 64bits, latest update today (I thought it could be an early issue)
Steinberg UR22 mk2, first with driver from the CD then with the latest update today (same, I thought it could be an early bug)

My inputs and output setup should be ok: IN=2xmono (using only input 1 with a condenser mic+48v on); OUT=Stereo (no monitors plugged in, only headphones in front)

So
1. I start a project, add a new track and record a voice (so far so good)
2. I add a 2nd track (the only one armed) and record a second voice (playback on,ok in my headphones,so nice...)
3. I listen to the 2nd track only (Solo switch on) and the first voice is in it aswell

I've tried with headphones volume at zero or unplugged while recording.
By the way, same problem with the metronom on: it's recording on the track.

So it's seems that for a unknown reason the playback is recorded

Thank you so much for your future answer, i'm getting really frustrated that I'm not able to use these new products.
It could be a stupid error from me as new as I am with this, but I've checked all I could by myself...

Frustrating it can be...

Ok, so you obviously have some open 'hot' mic recording if you have a 'metronome' signal in your recording of the second track. I believe there is actually no way to do that 'purposely' with Cubase Elements.

I have a feeling you may not be selecting the correct VST input bus on your record channel. Or you have not setup two mono input buses in 'VST Connections' correctly, or you are trying to record to a stereo track...

Post a snapshot of your VST Connections and Project window to start. Sure we will figure this out. :)

Back