meters

alevy

this is my setup:eureka presonus preamp, tlm 103, echo mia sound card, cool edit pro.
which peak meters should i be more concerned about?
in cool edit pro my vocal wave is under -3 but when i compress the input reads -.2 even if i turn down the volume the input still says the same thing in the waves compressor.

alevy said:
this is my setup:eureka presonus preamp, tlm 103, echo mia sound card, cool edit pro.
which peak meters should i be more concerned about?
in cool edit pro my vocal wave is under -3 but when i compress the input reads -.2 even if i turn down the volume the input still says the same thing in the waves compressor.

That a tough question to answer in the form it was presented.

The difference in relative levels is most likely a result of what is being monitored on that particular audio channel. That is the original input signal or the signal post fader. I'm also not sure where this compressor is (in the scheme of things).

What you should be concerned about is entirely up to the task at hand although I suspect you mean output levels.

I have said this before but I don't know how anyone can properly monitor without outboard hardware metering....like Dorroughs. Of course I never advocate mixing totally by meters but they do OFTEN shed light on interesting and otherwise overlooked problematic audio. I've had various tracks where without a meter I would have sworn the audio wasn't as hot as it actually was metering. Sorta like a pilot who against every instinct in his body learns to trust his instruments.

Again I'm NOT suggesting mixing totally by meters but I have found them to be invaluable in a consistent product.

the compressor is in waves all of my meters are where they i want them to be except for in the wave compressor. when i record them nothings peaking or even close to peaking. when i use the compression plug in from waves no matter i do to the voluime in waves it shows up as not being altered. so i was wondering should i just ignore the waves output meter if i know that its not peaking?

Back