Metallica's Justice lead sound

Rhythmschism

Does anyone know what I'm talking about, on "Metallica's And Justice for All..." album? That lead sound that is created for parts such as the intro to "Blackened", and the lead riff 9:00 into "And Justice for All...". I'm no guitar expert, but it appears to be multiple guitar tracks playing at different intervals. But I've never been able to recreate this kind of sound live or recorded, and I haven't really heard anyone else do it the way Metallica does. If I remember right Metallica used a lot of Mesa Boogie equipment on this album? I guess that could contribute a lot to it, but does anyone else more learned than I have any insight on the subject?

Boogie Amps galore. Plus layers and layers of guitars. That's all James Hetfield - on that record Kirk only played solos. Hetfield was notorious for massive layering of guitars. Like 6 or 10 layers of 1 guitar riff. Then there's all sorts of harmony parts and counter melodies/counter rhythms thrown in there.

The intro to "Blackened" is backwards guitar. They actually reversed the tape. Nowadays you just select the audio you want reversed and hit "reverse" or the like in your Digital audio program.

In terms of tone - Hetfield (for that record anyway) scooped out the mids almost entirely. Lots of bass and treble, no mids.

Tube Screamer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I definately agree with everything that Gaylord stated, but I think you were looking for more of the actual lead tone, than the rythym. The lead tones Kirk stated were not all boogies on that album, they were a collection of different amps. His tube screamer was used tons in front of the different amps he used. It gives you that really glassy almost sparkly clean high gain sound. That lead tone is really glassy sounding...i don't know if anyone will be able to truely mimic it, but there are bands that have come close. If you listen to Demons And Wizards( band comprised of Hansi Kursch, and Jon Schaffer of Blind Guardian, and Iced Earth fame) first album they nailed that rythym guitar sound on the nuts, and almost the same lead tones. This is probably the closest i have heard yet. Do yourself a favor and check em out. They are kinda like power metal but not nearly as lame as a lot of that stuff.

Thanks Gaylord and Analytical man, gives me a better idea of whats going on with them. I will think I will check out Demons and Wizards, thanks.

Back