Metal Tune

Cool enough start.

A couple of things stood out to me.

The guitars were too far forward. They dominate everything else. Their tone is a little overly gritty. Not enough low end to them. A little too much edge or bite to them. Personal taste thing.

Songwise, some of the instrumental transitions went on quite a long while.

I can't hear the bass.

I agree with Trip. I can't hear the bass at all. The guitars are a little fatiguing to me, like they're compressed flat. No dynamic to the sound of the guitar. Maybe that's what you were looking to achieve.

Here is another mix I did. I brought the drums and bass up and eq'd the guitars. I know it's still a long way from done.

Attachments

• 01-Elder Dark_mixdown3.mp3
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
I can hear the bass, guitars and drums pretty well - the guitars are a bit fizzy but the bass drum is much better than I expected.
The vocal doesn't work for me - like a male Nina Hagen but without enough weirdness.
The fast section is WAY too repetitive unless you're into hippy trance prog psych stuff (which I am) and doesn't have a focus - it needs a melody, defining riff or solo.
The story in the lyrics is fine - you need to decide what to do with it - tell it or bury it under gutteral emmissions.

@rayc I did the vocals that way for a reason. But you're right about the long instrumental part. It needs a melody or something.

The vocals sound like they are clipping and are very harsh sounding. I would also lower the hi hat down a bit.

Back