Metal/Rock Song (third attempt)

jmxdrummer

I am thankful for all the feedback on the last post. I am posting a copy of the same song that was not mastered. The song was only exported out of sonar 6 and converted to a 16bit wav. I want to focus on the mix before thinking about mastering. How is the mix?
http://www.thepunkcast.com/ellistheme2.wav
thanks

Last edited:
Some comments from amateur:
- The guitar at start sounds to me like it isn't in tune (the higher notes), though it might be just because of some effects.
- Only one guitar panned to one side creates rather bad stereo imbalance. Im not sure if you used any double tracking. If you didn't, you probably should, and if you did, the right side could be louder. If you don't have two takes, you could copy the guitar, pan it to the other side with lower volume, delay the copy by something like 20ms and EQ it differently, maybe add some different effects.
- The hihat decay time might benefit from being more synced to tempo. Now it seems to sustain for some time and then decay fastly after a certain time that doesn't somehow fit to the song tempo. I guess making changes to this would need rather skillfull use of compressor and gate.

EDIT:
A HUGE improvement to your "second attempt" anyway, which wasnt really even listenable.

Last edited:
Guitar playing was pretty good.

Guitars sound a little muddy. Maybe a cut around 300hz would be a good think.

Drum samples are definitely the weakest part off this. They're all really slappy and weak sounding.

And yeah DLing the wav file takes a long time.

Back