Metal recorded in a BARN?????

Listen to these songs, fuckers! They kick ass! \m/ :mad: \m/

Okay, sorry to call everybody fuckers....metal just gets me fired up.

So go listen to the songs already, fuckers!

:p :p :p :p

Seriously, I really dig your band Superpro, so I had to comment again. ;)

Not bad at all man. The recording has a "flat" sound to it but I would expect it from a tape based recording. With that said, everything is balanced and audible. I like the vocal approach, good to hear someone opting to actually sing in metal these days. Very cool riffing.

Been busy getting ready to record new stuff. Any more opinions on what to do and not to do to these would still be appreciated.

superprohero said:
Been busy getting ready to record new stuff. Any more opinions on what to do and not to do to these would still be appreciated.

I listened to "winter comes", for some reason that name intriged me the most as kinda epic sounding, and it didnt disapoint. Man what a cool song. i will get to the rest of the songs later and try to offer some suggestions to help improve your recording.

The intro to "winter comes", listen how the bass sticks out and has some definition all the way until about the 1:10 mark. That seems to me about the same time the whole drum kit kicks in for the song. Im thinking the two instruments (drums and bass) are fighting for the same space and kinda cancelling each other out into a big cluttered low end.

I Personally liked the bass tone before it disapeared with the drums, so if you have EQing potential the second time around take whatever boosts you give your bass and cut them out of your kick drum and toms(if you can).

Your EQ freq to cut on the kick should be in the 250-300 hz range, dont be afraid to do a drastic cut there as much as -10 to - 20db while boosting your sub freq in the 50-85hz range as much as +10 - +20db. again im not sure what eqing potential you have.

Maybe try using a different beater on your kick drum if you dont have much Eqing ability, like a plastic or wood beater to brighten it up so it cuts through the mix a little better.

when you do your mix down of your new drum tracks, assuming your not gating anything, "ride" the faders on your toms, meaning when the toms are not being hit turn them down enough so it cleans up the sound of the core of your kit(snare,kick,rythm cymbol) but doesnt make a huge noticable audible difference. Then when the drum rolls and fills come in(like at 2:00) you bump those faders up enough to make those toms stick out, then bump em down so their pretty much out of the mix again. Again you have to listen to make sure you dont hear the extra hiss or overall garbage these mics produce when the toms arent being hit when "riding" them. I was amazed at how my mixes cleaned up by doing this. you can do it a little on the overheads too, depending on how your using them.

but generally just try to make sure the drums(especially the kick) and bass guitar are not clashing for the same frequencies. I might add my computer plays through BOSE monitors, so if there is bass to be heard, i will hear it.

awsome metal music you guys make. please post when your done. Or heck, I'd buy this, sell me a copy when you have it done.

I think you already have a good enough mix to sell. I think you did a incredible job mixing this for what you had to record with.

METaaaaaaaaaaaALLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!

Blor007- The server goes down from time to time, Midphase is like that. just check back.
Metalj- Thanks for some of the most helpful advise yet. I appreciate when someone goes into detail. You'll love the other songs as well. As I said we recorded with outdated equipment. We just got a Presonus firewire outfit and I plan on buying a couple kick mics and decent overheads. I'm still up in the air what to buy. Other than that we have several SM57's for the rest.
The guitarist/singer just informed me he has been spending many hours getting to know the Presonus and software and he has a guitar sound dialed in other than trying a couple more mic positioning techniques. He expressed a great deal of excitement over how much better the sound is, even when he hit the drums with just two overhead room mics(sm57s) we use to record ideas to cassette with. I can hardly wait to get started.
PROBLEM: I think the Presonus only has 8 inputs. I have two kicks, snare, 3 rack toms, two floors but could get by with one. I want an SM57 on each tom, snare and high hat. And whatevever kick mics I get inside each kick and the two overheads. I am also leaning towards seeing what two room mics out in the room will do to the sound. just to get the basic close micing is 10 mics without the two room mics! What do I do? Submix the toms into the sound board and run as left right out to Presonus?

Back