Metal Pop filters.. Good? Bad? Irrelivent?

Mr. ROUSH

So with the last mic I aquired I got a metal pop filter.. I'm curious if this would cause undesirable results, or if it would introduce any change to the way a vocal is picked up.. I would just a to b them but I handed down my old sponge.. Any advice?

depends....

Metal can interfere with mics. With proximity. Although that depends on the metal. Aluminum / Titanium or Iron / Steele. And proximity, millimeters or inches or feet. But they are rigid, so as far as wind deflection, it's hard to beat them. And it depends on the mic,

For the most part irrelevant IMO. Assuming 6" or more with relation to proximity. Not to say that there isn't ANY alteration to the sound. But for the most part negligible IMO.

Assuming that the device doesn't contribute to the sound. From a loud trombonist perspective where even a piano can sympathetically vibrate with a loud source. Depending on how well maintained the sustain pedal felts are. And other factors. Noting how even my computer monitors like to sing along for lack of a better description.

depends....

Metal can interfere with mics. With proximity. Although that depends on the metal. Aluminum / Titanium or Iron / Steele. And proximity, millimeters or inches or feet. But they are rigid, so as far as wind deflection, it's hard to beat them. And it depends on the mic,

For the most part irrelevant IMO. Assuming 6" or more with relation to proximity. Not to say that there isn't ANY alteration to the sound. But for the most part negligible IMO.

Assuming that the device doesn't contribute to the sound. From a loud trombonist perspective where even a piano can sympathetically vibrate with a loud source. Depending on how well maintained the sustain pedal felts are. And other factors. Noting how even my computer monitors like to sing along for lack of a better description.

Very informative.. much appreciated.. I just rigged it up with a new mic today and my gooseneck is too short to hit the 6" mark.. I need to work that out. Thanks again very much!

Very informative.. much appreciated.. I just rigged it up with a new mic today and my gooseneck is too short to hit the 6" mark.. I need to work that out. Thanks again very much!

...don't stress the 6" issue...IMHO, the distance between the singer's mouth and the pop screen is more relevant than the distance between the pop screen and mic...I run a pro tracking studio where vocals are the primary function...my pop screens (metal 90% of the time) are generally 2-4" from the mic depending on the mic (closer with dynamic mics than condensers)...I generally recommend the singer works about 3-6" from the screen (again depending on the singer's vocal style and power)...on or off axis is also an issue with certain singers...don't get caught up with small details...learning is an ongoing process...experience beats "rules" everytime...record...enjoy...the creative process should be enjoyable, not stressful...good luck! ;)

...don't stress the 6" issue...IMHO, the distance between the singer's mouth and the pop screen is more relevant than the distance between the pop screen and mic...I run a pro tracking studio where vocals are the primary function...my pop screens (metal 90% of the time) are generally 2-4" from the mic depending on the mic (closer with dynamic mics than condensers)...I generally recommend the singer works about 3-6" from the screen (again depending on the singer's vocal style and power)...on or off axis is also an issue with certain singers...don't get caught up with small details...learning is an ongoing process...experience beats "rules" everytime...record...enjoy...the creative process should be enjoyable, not stressful...good luck! ;)

Make's sense.. That's pretty much what I have been doing, so I'm glad you posted that.. it's good to get some validation from time to time on these things.. I need a bigger mic stand, the shockmount pretty much keeps my boom at 90 degrees, so now I have to jack the stand all the way up instead of adjusting the boom... I just need a bigger room really. But anyway, thanks for the advice.. much appreciated.

I actually have a cheep metal pop filter and had the same problem with the neck being too short. So my home solution is, I attach the pop filer to a mic gooseneck, and they put some squeeze clamps around the goose neck to attach it to the mic boom (if you have a boom stand)

(Sorry for the bad pic, I took it quick on my camera phone)

Those Mxl 4000 mics are pretty...

I have to wonder what is best...I saw a session at WB records just today where they were using panty hose on a wire hanger:rolleyes:

It has been suggested by people whose ears I trust more than mine, that nylon/? any fabric pop filters scrub off some highs, and that steel does less of that. I can't hear the difference, but that's my old ears. As you lose your ability to hear highs, you make more use of the ears of people you trust. I'll tell you this, though, for sure- Metal pop filters don't get "runs". They aren't automatically destroyed when some drunk Death Metal rocker butts out a cigarette on it, and of course, then blows smoke into the (hopefully his) main vocal mic. Steel pop filters are more roadworthy, and in a live setting, they can be good on a flute, or any breathy wind instrument. This business of scrubbing off the highs- It's a pretty small difference, but it depends on whether you think the singer sounds better, or worse, with a low pass filter. Some singers that are shrill need that. I use steel because it is durable.-Richie

So with the last mic I aquired I got a metal pop filter.. I'm curious if this would cause undesirable results, or if it would introduce any change to the way a vocal is picked up.. I would just a to b them but I handed down my old sponge.. Any advice?
I've heard that some metal pop filters can whistle slightly. Design problem with that particular filter? Singer too close?

Brand/model recommendations?

I have the stedman metal one. It works well. Someone at guitarcenter told me the cloth one cut off some high end, even though they are full of it most the time, I said sure, why not get a cool metal one. That was awhile ago, and after using it for a few years, it definitely works better at reducing the pop while singing (alot better), than a cloth one. I haven't had any problems with whistling. It's dishwasher safe. I'd say if you can get one, but it's not a necessity.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Stedman-Proscreen-XL?sku=421104#new

The cloth ones might reduce the top end just a hair, but the main reason to go with metal is that they don't rot. :)

Back