Metal Gods

Tremaine

Chancellor of the EOPA
I have a fantasy that i commonly convince myself could someday become known as true. One must dream you know, and i have learned from my gods to 'dream on' but also to "dream in black and white", because nothing ever turns out the way you invisioned it.

That said, here i am seeking advice on emulating my gods, or more spasifically my singing gods, Dickenson, Dio and Hetfeild. if you want to be the best you must learn from the best.

i try, trust me, and i can do a decent job singing back up for them <to cds, yes real cd's, for those of you that dont know what a music cd is, its the quality recording the band made for you to hear, opposed to degraded mp3's and the like. buy CD's to support you favorite bands!!!>

any tactic's or gear suggestings wood be much apperated.

also is it normal to get temporaly blurred vision after singing loudly for a while? maybe im trying/singing to loudly?

Peace World
Tremaine

I would get lessons. If you want to expand your range, and be able to belt it out without having a stroke, there's as much to learning how to maximize your voice as there is to learning an instrument. Once you've got some lessons, practice like hell!

It is important because there are techniques to maintaining your voice, and if you don't utilize them you won't be able to sustain a career's worth of singing without blowing something out.

Doe Ray Mee Sow Laa Faa Tea Doe

you guys are great, first you saved my mixer, then you saved my mixer again <from me pluging random things into it> now you may have saved my voice.

i read that once, along time ago, or was told or something, but lately i've been upping my practicing, pushing harder and all, in perp for my first homerecording witch im getting closer too. and i forgot all about blowing my voice.
Thanks dude.

now the reason i have never taken lessons is that there is no one around to help me sing how i want, only a few classically trained people, and school teachers. So should i just get what i can? or is it kinda like going backwards.

Im a song wrighter first, then a guitar player, and then a singer, so im one of those guys that beleaves no one else can get the songs right, i read a forum here and it seems alot of songwrighter/crapy singers agree with this. How can you sing a song if you dont really care about what your saying? thats how i feel anyway, i got a couple dozen 'good' songs and another 100 that... well exist anyway.

anymore tips and tricks?

Peace World
Tremaine

Classical voice trainers can give you techniques that you can then apply to any genre. Quite a number of metal's shouters and screamers were middle class English fruits from the suburbs that were into 'pursuits' like fencing or singing in the choir. It always fascinates me to hear some of them speak.....

Hey man, I do rock vocals as well!!!!!!

Number one thing you have to focus on is your "voice" live in the moment when you are singing. Alot of times when people try to sing it comes out like garbage because they aren't "focused" they have some type of mental block which prevents them from really living in the moment while they are belting those notes out!!!!

One thing that REALLY helps me is to belt out a scream to clear all of the crap out of my throat. I usually only have to do that once or twice then im good to go. lol. Try to NOT sing through your nose, when your really belting out those harder notes you should be using your lower stomach muscles.

Grap your guitar, put it in Drop D, play 3 or 4 different chords or something that you are comfortable with and sing into a mic.

Singing takes ALOT of practice, to be a really good singer is like sweep picking the hell out of a guitar.........its VERY hard and it takes ENOURMOUS amounts of practice to get really good at it........not to mention CONFIDENCE CONFIDENCE CONFIDENCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck man

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!

Classical voice trainers can give you techniques that you can then apply to any genre. Quite a number of metal's shouters and screamers were middle class English fruits from the suburbs that were into 'pursuits' like fencing or singing in the choir. It always fascinates me to hear some of them speak.....

I almost flunked out of choir.....lol

and DEFINETLY FLUNKED English. Thank god I finally grew up...........

It takes talent to sing, EXPECIALLY metal/rock to harder rock genres if your pipes aren't cut out for it no teacher could possibbly make you listenable. If someone actually can sing, but they don't realize it.......then a teacher can do wonders!!!!!!!!!!!

CHEERS!!!!!!

right on man, good words there.

being in the headspace of the song, and feeling what your saying has got to be the most importain thing, making if difficult to practice at times, especally if you got 'monsters' living in your house.

confidence, is an issue for me, fore i know that at some point i will screw up.
not like the drunkereds wood notice, but i know.

Peace Dude
Rock on Tremaine

Here is the funny thing about singing ... if you have some singing ability lessons and Practice will help you reach your potential , but if you have no singing ability then no amount of lessons or practice will help you .....

I guess you either have it or you don"t .....

if you can't find lessons or good lessons close to you an excellent book is
the rock-n-roll singer's survival manual by mark baxter
isbn 0793502861
at the very least it will show you how not to ruin and tear up your vocal chords...............
has a lot of good info on health etc...........
i went through several of books to improve my singing cause i didn't find a good vocal teacher at the time and this one was the best.
hope it helps.

Minion: i know i'll probably never be a great singer, i just want to be good enuff, i hear you thou, i know a dude that can sing, but he dont really care, he barely uses it, some people eh?

purerad: Right on man, thanks for the book, i got it book marked on ebay, about 20bucks, shipping included.

Peace
Tremaine

also remember this point too...........
just because your voice doesn't sound good in a particular style or song doesn't mean it isn't good, you may have to find your right style of singing and song to fit together. I've heard some great singers who sounded like garbage cause their voice didn't fit the song............
Example...... this really hit home seeing a video of Rob Halferd filling in for Ozzy with Black Sabbath.........now no disrespect to Rob......He's one of the best ever! But his voice did not fit in with Sabbath at all! He actually seemed to get a few boos if you listen carefully...........!
Don't try to make your voice do something it can't do!
Great singers find the right material that fits their voices!

right on man, thats a very hopeful statement.

on a side note:
i got the masters of misery tribute to sabbath, and half the dudes on the album try to sing like ozzy, and its bad... always pissed me off, why dont they try to make the songs sound like their band, i thought.
megadeth doing paraniod and type-o-negatice doing black sabbath, are good covers, imo.

Back