Metal Drum Heads

Louddog

No, not heads made of metal... I am going to be recording a heavy metal project next and need to change the heads on my toms. Anyone have a suggestion on what metal guys are currently using? I was thinking just replacing with Remo pinstripes, I currently have Aquarian performance 2's on them. I like them ok...The two most current CD's I have listened to that I like the tom sound on are Trivium and Avenged Sevenfold.

Thanks

Doug

My take...

In my experience you are going to get some tone on the attack and a quick decay with the pinstripes. They are good for live and studio use where you are going to need a lot of drum to drum isolation in the mix. They work great when you are using a close miking technique on your toms. I've listened to the Avenged Sevenfold album quite a few times (going to see them next month) and it sounds like to me that they are using some type of oil-fill head on the toms. You'll also have to use some gating and compression on those toms to get the sound you are going for. Evans hydraulic glass heads give a good focused sound that might be to your liking as well.

Regards,
JV

Steer clear of oil filled heads. Pinstripes would be a great choice, they sound awesome and are fairly easy to tune. :) Good luck.

The oli filled feads are too dead.

Aquarian Studio-X.....You won't need to put any tape on then to muffel them. You will get a small but nice ring out of them.

billmcdonald said:
Steer clear of oil filled heads. Pinstripes would be a great choice, they sound awesome and are fairly easy to tune. :) Good luck.

Pinstripes ARE oil filled! Have you ever looked at one in the light!

-JV

silentman said:
Pinstripes ARE oil filled! Have you ever looked at one in the light!

-JV

This is a quote fron REMO's website.
The well-known Clear Pinstripe® heads are made with two 7 mil Mylar® plys with a measured layer of a ring reducing agent applied between them at the outer edge of their trademark stripe to dampen high frequency overtones for warmer resonance.

I don't know it it is oil.

Jason Bittner from Shadows fall uses Evans G2's on the batterr side and G1's on the bottom. They recorded really well. I'm going to switch to them when I've used up my pinstripe supply.

Farview said:
Jason Bittner from Shadows fall uses Evans G2's on the batterr side and G1's on the bottom. They recorded really well. I'm going to switch to them when I've used up my pinstripe supply.

Danny Carey also uses this set up for live and recording, says so on his website written by his drum tech. Its also the set up I use for recording metal. I'll also say to steer clear of oil filled heads. I used the hydralics for about a month and couldn't get a good recorded tone at all, now live wasn't all that bad.

Thanks for the help everyone. I have the evans on my snare, so I'll look into those. Thanks again.
Doug

Back