metal cover; requesting guitar tone comments

MegaGoo

hi everyone. i dont get to post here much but im getting interested in getting a good guitar tone again. so here we go

ive recorded a cover of Lamb Of God's 11th hour. i dont want to say the equipment i used just yet. i will post it if/when i get a fair amount of responses.

background: i have not done a great amount of recording, but i am seeking an exceptional home recording guitar tone. i do not expect to achieve real studio quality, or really close even. but i DO want to have a better than average tone for someone with under $2k in equipment. it is a very modest setup. i have heard some demo recordings that people throw together and they're tolerable but not great. i want it to be as good as possible with the limited equipment budget i have. i hope that i have done a good job of explaining where i hope my sound quality should fall. its very hard to critique your own work.

also feel free to comment on the drum sound. the bass is midi, so dont bother :)

and ignore the sloppiness .. accuracy was not the intent.

thanks
eddie

I think the guitar sound is pretty good...it's what I might expect to find on most modern hard rock cd's....Fits well.

Yeah the guitar tone is good.
I like it.
Nice smooth sound, not harsh. Nice low mid scooping and controlled low end which this genre asks for.
The guitars do lack something, but I cant quite put my finger on it. I think they are lacking a bit of power, but still good all the same.

Good stuff.
Eck

thank you. what i will say now in regards to equipment used is that its my first attempt micing. i went off axis as in point it directly dead center of speaker, then tilt it towards the outside of the cone until the harshness subsides. i think your supposed to start it pointing directly at the outside, then turn it towards the center of the speaker. maybe i'll try that. it was very quick but i dig how it came out. but my opinion means nothing as i said.

thanks for the replies and please keep them coming

the drums were EZdrummer. i dont like the ride bell much. theres a better sample i will use next time.

eddie

yea...i was about to say, the ride bell bugged the shit out of me the whole time

the cymbals as a whole seemed to be a bit loud in the mix, which i think detracted from some of the presence of the guitars...although the tone sounded good, it seemed like it could use a little more presence/definition...again, it seems like that might be from the cymbals eating up all the space in the high end

Yes, the tone... as little as I understand of the thing, sounds the same as in a bunch of metal albums lately, not bad in any means!!... ...but not unforgettable either. Not "exceptional home recording guitar tone"..

But hell, for some reason, I've missed the point entirely, I believe... I just play whatever comes out the box.. God knows I couldn't tell a modeller apart from a mic'd tube amp. ..But an exceptional sound, would need something of it's own, color?..

i dont really know enough about how to get a lot of tones so i'mjust trying to get as good of a tone as possible that will fit any generic metal song. i actually am not a huge fan of the tone from that album. if you compare the tone of the original to mine i think they should sound different

ill try lowering the cymbals.i havent even really listened to this on decent speakers.perhaps ill invest in some decent monitors..

eddie

from what i know about metal...not much :rolleyes: ...the guitars sound good for this type of music!!! The drum samples here are sick!!wow.....out of control!

good luck

james

would you say that the guitar tone better than you may have heard coming out of a low low low budget setup?

like i said, i know i wont compete with setups that have multiple mics, high end preamps, etc. but i do want to sound better than the average joe with a line6 pod

overall sounds pretty good..

the guitar tone sounds great. There is a hint on dullness though. Not in eq I don't think.. could be room or mic/placement.

If the drums were darker.. then I wouldn't even notice. They're not though, they are tight and clean, which exposes the guitars.

cool. thanks for everyones opinions and please keep them coming

ok what i used:

line6 vetta amp. this is basically the same as PODxt Pro. but it emulates two amps at once in stereo. and has a power amp built in, and looks like a standard amplifier

how i ran:

vetta amp 1: modern hi gain
vetta amp 2: clean (so i could reamp it if necessary but i ended up not)

both signals were fed direct into the line-ins of a presonus firebox firewire recording interface

i also mic'd my cab like i said which was the 3rd track (per take)

so i ended up mixing

take 1 mic: left
take 1 direct: left
take 2 mic: right
take 2 direct: right

i think i had the mic'd level a little higher. tried to mix them till i got a good blend of both mic'd and direct

eddie

Back