Metal bands that use programmed drums

ericlingus

hello. I'd like to know what metal bands you guys know of who do not use a drummer on their albums and program their drums instead. Bands I know of are: Summoning, Graveland(newer albums), The Berserker, Necrophalgist, Samael(since Passages I beleive. Or did they use them since the begining?), Woodtemple, Blut Aus Nord. Any other bands you guys know of? If so be specific which albums they did use them on if they have at one point used a real drummer. I appreciate this a lot.

i thnk necrophagist have a real drummer.... in fact they deffinatly do.
Fuck.....im dead use a machine
magpies
loads do, most of them its really obvious though.

Have they from the beginning though? Or just from Passages and on? Ceremony Of Opposites kinda sounds like they are programmed but that album was before Passages.

Interesting question. I think these used machines:

1. mortician (all theirs I think have a drum machine)

2. pitch shifter - Industrial (GREAT album!); some of their other albums may have used a machine too

3. godflesh - I think their Streetcleaner album did, maybe more.

4. one of the "comeback" Annihilator albums did - maybe Kill The King (King of the Kill?) or something like that

5. celtic frost used one on the song "one in their pride" off the album Into the Pandemonium.

6. I think the relapse band Candiru used to as well.

7. oh yeah....Agoraphobic Nosebleed on relapse too.

8. the band Scorn.

here's a bonus question: which In Flames song had a drum machine pop in during the middle of a song to replace the real drums for a few measures?

Last edited:
no idea but i'm interested in knowing. Why did that happen? I think nowadays metal bands can get away with programmed drums. Many bands are using triggers anyways. Meshuggah used one on the Catch33 album and on the song War on the rare trax album.

ericlingus said:
no idea but i'm interested in knowing. Why did that happen? I think nowadays metal bands can get away with programmed drums. Many bands are using triggers anyways. Meshuggah used one on the Catch33 album and on the song War on the rare trax album.

I think they did it as part of the song, to add some atmosphere. They obviously play to a click, so they just squeeked it in there. I'll have to listen to a few CDs to pick it out again.

Oh yeah...didn't Steve Vai use a Lynn Drum machine on one of his first albums?

oh, and I think the Annihilator album was called "Remains." ooops.

It almost sounds like Kreator used one on parts of Endorama, unless they just EQ'ed the drums to get a lofi effect in a few parts.

Necrophagist used a drum machine on "onset of putrification" (i believe is the title). The newer album "Epitaph" is a real drummer. Needless to say, they need no drum machine. I saw them live and they have to be one of the tightest bands in metal right now.
Vintersorg used a drum machine on "cosmic Genesis".

ericlingus said:
Have they from the beginning though? Or just from Passages and on? Ceremony Of Opposites kinda sounds like they are programmed but that album was before Passages.
Ceremony Of Opposites was done with a drum machine

Wireneck said:
One of my favorite albums. When both of my boys were infants, and they were super cranky, I'd put on that album, and they'd be asleep by the end of the second song. Kick-ass songs, that double as lullabyes....who would have thought???? :D

Wireneck said:
Necrophagist used a drum machine on "onset of putrification" (i believe is the title). The newer album "Epitaph" is a real drummer. Needless to say, they need no drum machine. I saw them live and they have to be one of the tightest bands in metal right now.

Man I love that Wintersorg album, I had no idea it was fake drumming, that sucks!

Did Emperor ever use electronic drums on their recordings? I was reading an interview with Isahn not too long ago where he talked about his new solo record, and I thought he said that he programmed the drums just like on Emperor records.

The other bands I was going to mention (Fuck...I'm Dead, ANb, Mortician) have already been mentioned. Crotchduster maybe?

I also thought the drummer from Meshuggah programmed the drums for their records and then played them live.

on Ishahn's solo album, he programmed the drums but then send them out to a real drummer for the final album. He just programmed them at first to come up with his own drum lines for the album so all the composing was done by him.

I'm not 100% positive but I believe the band Textures used Drumkit From Hell on an earlier recording. I haven't read about it anywhere, but as a drumkit from hell user I'm pretty sure I can spot those samples from a mile away. The first edition anyway.

Back