Mesas disappearing act

dan

Does it seem to anyone else like MesaBoogie equipment dealers are shrinking all the time. Its getting harder to find a dealer of new Mesa equipment around here and Im really in the market for an amp now.

Sam Ash, Mars, Guitar Center, Zapfs, and a few other huge music equipment centers around here no longer sell Mesa stuff. I wonder if its becouse Mesas list price is what there equipment is sold at. I wouldnt think there list prices are the same as there prices to there dealers but I overheard the Sam Ash general Maneger around here say something along those lines.

The thing with Mesa Boogie is that they know that that can practically ask for however much they want for their amps because they know that no one else comes close to making amps like they do... people are still gonna buy them regardless of the price and their availability because people who buy their amps know they are getting the best of the best!

Well,I live within 25 miles of two each of Mars and Guitar Center stores,and they all have at least 8 Boogies each as of last Sat.Guess you can figure out from that how I spent last Sat.! But the point is valid,stores don't make much at all on Boogie amps,I think it's like 5%.But I was talking with a GC salesman a few months ago and he told me that in order to keep their dealership status with Boogie they have to keep a certain amount of stuff in stock and on the floor so unless the stores you saw had a run on Boogies recently,they might be in danger of losing it.BTW,I own a Boogie,but that doesn't stop me from acknowledging that there are other really good amps out there,but sadly not in stores like GC and Mars.I'm referring to Bogner,Tone King Victoria and a few others.But these all cost more than Boogies pound for pound.

I guess it was just these stores or the stores in this region. Both Guitar Center AND Mars told me that they dont sell Mesa stuff anymore. I found one used peice at GC but thats it. Theres a few regional stores around here that seem to carry a good stock of Mesa now that I checked it out but theyre on average 10% more expensive than the big names. The good part about them is they offer good very personalized service for you. I usually have them beat a price at Mars or Sam Ash and get it a little cheaper but thats not possable with the Boogies now.

If you really want a Boogie,if you can prove to Boogie's satisfaction that you are at least 100 miles from their nearest authorized dealer,they will sell you one direct from the factory,but it wont be any cheaper,although you might save a little on sales tax.

Back