Mesa Mini Rectifier -> 2 different speaker 1x12 cabinets

Simmons

I have two separate 1x12 guitar cabinets (both have a single speaker input) that I’d like to run with my Mesa Mini Rectifier. What’s the best was to accomplish this? Both cabinets have an 8 ohm Vintage 30 speaker.

I’m wondering if I could use my Morley ABY in this scenario. The Mesa has two speaker outputs choices (4 ohm and 8 ohms). If I ran the speaker out to the Morley and then two speaker cables to each of the cabinets would that work….or would I burn something up…like the Morley ABY? I don’t think it was intended to be used this way.

Also what ohm choice on the amp would I use in this scenario?

One 4 Ohm and one 8 Ohm jack is provided for speaker interfacing. MESA/Boogie cabinets are built wired to 8
Ohms unless custom ordered or modified by an outside party (i.e. a previously owned cabinet). One 8 Ohm cabinet should be
connected to the 8 Ohm output. When using two 8 Ohm MESA cabinets, connect one cabinet to the 4 Ohm output and “daisy
chain” the second cabinet by coming out of the first cabinet’s Paralleled Out jack into the second cabinet’s input jack (MESA
cabinets provide a Parallel jack for this purpose).

Thanks for the response, but neither cabinet is a MESA cabinet. They were both custom built 1x12 by JDesigns (Jeff Earl). There is no parallel jack out on either cabinet, so there's no way to daisy chain them. That's why I added the part about a "single input" on each cabinet.

Thanks for the response, but neither cabinet is a MESA cabinet. They were both custom built 1x12 by JDesigns (Jeff Earl). There is no parallel jack out on either cabinet, so there's no way to daisy chain them. That's why I added the part about a "single input" on each cabinet.

Just use a Y cable......single male jack into the 4 ohm output, Y on the other end, one to each speaker. Just make sure it's speaker Y cable and not instrument cable. You will probably need to go to a local PA Sound guy and have him make you a Y cable for this, they don't usually sell them off the shelf in GC.

If all else fails, go to radio schmuck and get a hard adapter that has a single male jack on one side and two female jacks on the other side. Or, better than that, just make your own Y cable or your own Y box. A small hard plastic box and 3 female speaker jacks will do it, drill your own holes. One female jack mounted on the left side of the box, two jacks on the right side of the box, and wire them both to the single jack on the left side (they will be in parallel then). Connect the single jack to the 4 ohm output on the amp.

This is the same as a Y cable, and the same as connecting one speaker cab to the other speaker cab.

Just use a Y cable......single male jack into the 4 ohm output, Y on the other end, one to each speaker. Just make sure it's speaker Y cable and not instrument cable. You will probably need to go to a local PA Sound guy and have him make you a Y cable for this, they don't usually sell them off the shelf in GC.

If all else fails, go to radio schmuck and get a hard adapter that has a single male jack on one side and two female jacks on the other side. Or, better than that, just make your own Y cable or your own Y box. A small hard plastic box and 3 female speaker jacks will do it, drill your own holes. One female jack mounted on the left side of the box, two jacks on the right side of the box, and wire them both to the single jack on the left side (they will be in parallel then). Connect the single jack to the 4 ohm output on the amp.

This is the same as a Y cable, and the same as connecting one speaker cab to the other speaker cab.
A heads up here-
a) Many 1/4 female jacks are jack sh*t and make for piss connections > see exhibit 1- my own screw up for example.
Female TS adaptors..
2nd- would be worse yet are the typical solid adaptor. There you open even more chances to bump/break/stress these things that stick out waiting to die.
When that happens on an input/inst/line level connection it’s just a PITA and some noise to fix.
Now think sneaky little ‘interment open issues at the output of your amp. :) :rolleyes:

Yup, it happens. That's why the first suggestion is to have a sound guy make a custom Y cable.

Or purchase the speaker jacks from the sound guy and makeyour own box by drilling your own holes, doing your own soldering, and using 18 or 16 gauge wire.

Then those problems you describe should not happen.

Back