Mesa Boogie Roadster Combo

David Katauskas

I am looking for a new high-gain amp for my modest home studio and was looking at the mesa duel rect head. Then I saw the Roadster, which is supposedly the duel rect head in a 2x12 combo with switchable poweramp settings for 50/100 watt output.

Anyone have experience with this newer combo? It will be primiarily used for recording (99.999%).

The one downside is that if I get this combo instead of the head, I won't be able to build my cabinet... :(

I just bought a Roadster. love it. I've been using it with an SM57 right into my Korg D3200 and am happy with the tone. I was a little concerned about the volume level I might need in order to get the right sound, and am happy to say that it performs just fine at relatively low volumes. Which is good becasue I only have 1 room for recording and no sound barriers.

My favorite channels are 2 on Tweed max gain at 100 watts (awesome dynamics), and 1 set at 50 watts on clean. Nice warm tone without the brittle brightness I had on my Peavey Triple X I traded in on it.

It is a little bass-y on channels 3 and 4 but it's no problem to EQ that out. The ample Mid tone picks up the slack if you pull out the lows.

The Roadster is a narrow head and the cabinet is petite as well, so it's good for small gigs.

Back