Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!!

Merry Christmas

Hi,

I'm up before everybody else so I'm gonna ramble a little in this Christmas thread.

Chessparov, I've been doing some research on studios and engineers that used the EV 635a back in the day. The names Bob Ohlsson and Scott Dorsey keep coming up. Bob Ohlsson was at Motown where evidently the 635a and the RE15 were used for vocals quite a bit. RCA also used the RE15 for Elvis and Dolly Parton. I read that there was an AE guy at RCA who really liked Elvis' voice through a 635a and some of his early hits at RCA were recorded with this ever popular mic.

I still haven't pinned it down to Elvis had this hit singing through a 635a or this Motown hit was sung through a 635a but after just a couple of hours I am convinced that this is the case and I might be able to get this specific.

Also if you like Lawrence Welk you can see that almost everyone sings through a 635a as was not uncommon at many video studios.

Any help on this research will be greatly appreciated.

I've recorded two Christmas albums now, "The Gift" and "Anniversary Recital".

"The Gift" is me playing my own arrangements of popular Christmas Carols on acoustic guitar. It's been out for several years and can be heard here.

http://www.archive.org/details/Hairy_Larry.The_Gift

"Anniversary Recital" features Suzanne Michell on her Steinway baby grand. It's not all Christmas music with a mix of Jazz standards, traditional, and original songs but the last cut called "Christmas Pastiche" is a 17 minute long improvisation including many Christmas Carols mashed together like Charles Ives. I don't have this album posted yet but I will be able to post the trad. and original songs.

Both of these albums were recorded with a stereo pair of Naiant MSH-1 omni condensers mounted on my Jecklin Disc, an outstanding arrangement for recording acoustic instruments in stereo. The mics went into my M-Audio DMP2. "The Gift" was recorded on my Iriver H320 hard drive recorder. "Anniversay Recital" was recorded on my new toy, the Zoom H4 flash recorder.

I am very happy with the little flash recorder. I've used it four times already, each time with satisfactory results. I recorded Jazz Alliance live, a quartet with drums, bass, vibes, and trumpet. They were playing a coffeehouse in a rather small room with a lot of doors. I used the stereo pair condenser mics that are built into the unit running it off of batteries for the whole show. The recordings sound fantastic. Everything came out balanced and clean. The vibes sound great and the cymbals just sparkle.

I've just made six copies of "Anniversary Recital" for stocking stuffers so now I'm going to do Quality Control and print on the CDs. I hope you and all your families have a wonderful Christmas as we plan to and I hope your lives remain filled with music.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Hi,

I'm up before everybody else so I'm gonna ramble a little in this Christmas thread.

Chessparov, I've been doing some research on studios and engineers that used the EV 635a back in the day. The names Bob Ohlsson and Scott Dorsey keep coming up. Bob Ohlsson was at Motown where evidently the 635a and the RE15 were used for vocals quite a bit. RCA also used the RE15 for Elvis and Dolly Parton. I read that there was an AE guy at RCA who really liked Elvis' voice through a 635a and some of his early hits at RCA were recorded with this ever popular mic.

I still haven't pinned it down to Elvis had this hit singing through a 635a or this Motown hit was sung through a 635a but after just a couple of hours I am convinced that this is the case and I might be able to get this specific.

Also if you like Lawrence Welk you can see that almost everyone sings through a 635a as was not uncommon at many video studios.

Any help on this research will be greatly appreciated.

I've recorded two Christmas albums now, "The Gift" and "Anniversary Recital".

"The Gift" is me playing my own arrangements of popular Christmas Carols on acoustic guitar. It's been out for several years and can be heard here.

http://www.archive.org/details/Hairy_Larry.The_Gift

"Anniversary Recital" features Suzanne Michell on her Steinway baby grand. It's not all Christmas music with a mix of Jazz standards, traditional, and original songs but the last cut called "Christmas Pastiche" is a 17 minute long improvisation including many Christmas Carols mashed together like Charles Ives. I don't have this album posted yet but I will be able to post the trad. and original songs.

Both of these albums were recorded with a stereo pair of Naiant MSH-1 omni condensers mounted on my Jecklin Disc, an outstanding arrangement for recording acoustic instruments in stereo. The mics went into my M-Audio DMP2. "The Gift" was recorded on my Iriver H320 hard drive recorder. "Anniversay Recital" was recorded on my new toy, the Zoom H4 flash recorder.

I am very happy with the little flash recorder. I've used it four times already, each time with satisfactory results. I recorded Jazz Alliance live, a quartet with drums, bass, vibes, and trumpet. They were playing a coffeehouse in a rather small room with a lot of doors. I used the stereo pair condenser mics that are built into the unit running it off of batteries for the whole show. The recordings sound fantastic. Everything came out balanced and clean. The vibes sound great and the cymbals just sparkle.

I've just made six copies of "Anniversary Recital" for stocking stuffers so now I'm going to do Quality Control and print on the CDs. I hope you and all your families have a wonderful Christmas as we plan to and I hope your lives remain filled with music.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Hey Larry,

I downloaded The Gift last year about this time and just loved it! Still listen to it. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Merry Christmas!

WS

No cheese

Hey Larry,

I downloaded The Gift last year about this time and just loved it! Still listen to it. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Merry Christmas!

WS

WhiteStrat,

I spend all of December trying to escape from cheesy Christmas music. I think I can say that "The Gift" has no cheese. Just simple renditions of classic songs played as acoustic guitar instrumentals.

The first summer I began participating on this forum I did the "For My Dad" CD. Then that fall I did "The Gift". In many ways I have all the great posts on this forum to thank for this work.

So

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Happy Holidays, folks!

Hope it was a good year for you all...

And here's to the coming year. Let's spread lots of love and understanding, and make some great music!

Thanks so much

Merry Christmas!!! We're listening to The Gift while opening presents - thanks Larry!!!

antichef,

There is possibly no more special time in a family's life. I got the artwork on Suzanne Michell's CD and she's renamed it "Winter Interlude" which I think is wonderful. I had copies in my kids (in their twenties and thirties) stockings and I played the Christmas part while we were opening them.

After I gave the gift of music I received the gift of microphones. My youngest daughter found some vintage Calrad harp mics at a flea market. This is the second time she gave me two of these awesome flea market finds.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back