Merle Travis Live

hobo frank

I was at a friends house the other day and he had on a CD of Merle Travis. I happened to mention to him how much I liked the recording besides the fine guitar and vocal. I thought he was kidding me when He told me it was a live album from 1959 recorded with one omni directional mic (He just set the mic up next to the house mic) and a ampex 600 recorder and that it was just released recently. I can't get over how good this recording sounds (very warm). Its like your in the room. So much for all the software , hardware, plugins etc. If you like Traditional, Americana, Country, or just good old guitar pickin and singin' or if you just want to here a great recording check this out. It's call Merle Travis "In Boston 1959".

Thanks for the tip !
I like Merle Travis a lot and have some vinyl by him. I'll check out the CD. That style of recording of an omni, or sometimes 2 omnis to give some stereo field is one of my favorite sounds - sans layering, multitracking etc.

Recording the perfect sounds in the perfect acoustic room - how hard is that ! Ha Ha !

Anyway I'm a real rookie at live ambient micing but whatever gives you that sound just like you were standin 5 or 6 feet away is awesome ! I guess if it's an electric band and they actually know how to stage project then you could stand 10-20 feet away - depends.

OK, now ya got me - I'm lookin for that old Merle album. That Nine Pound Hammer...da da da dum de dum... Ha Ha :cool:
kylen

Back