Members average number of mics and a list...

How many mics do you own?

Votes: 127 7.8%

Votes: 155 9.5%
  • 3-5

Votes: 408 24.9%
  • 6-7

Votes: 221 13.5%
  • 8-12

Votes: 326 19.9%
  • 13 or over

Votes: 399 24.4%

• Total voters
I actually know people who record as a hobby that have better gear - mics especially - than many professionals.

They do it because they love it and it's a passion - so they don't compromise.

Just because it's a hobby does not mean buy cheap.

But, obviously, buy within your means - but buy carefully and research fully to avoid wasting money, so every penny gets to be wisely spent.

Understanding the tools helps - when I was younger I spent ages reading up on microphones, understanding frequency responses and specifications and how to read and interpret polar-patterns so I could understand microphones properly. Finding out what standard measurements should be, so I could guess that a manufacturer was trying to hide something if he did not show polar-patterns at the standard frequencies (for example).

No, you don't need to get the most expensive - but, microphones especially, are a mature technology and a good mic. will last 20, 30, 40, 50 years or more (for example Sennheiser still make the MD21 microphone - it's still current and was first put on the market in 1953). So, with microphones, it's always best to spend wisely as a good mic. will last a lifetime.

True, agree. If it's a passion and you have the cash, go for it. I was just trying to point out that there is a TON of good stuff in the middle for those of us who have the passion, but not a ton of cash to spend on it. I guess I'm just rebelling against the idea that only the best will make good records.

I also agree that mics are a great investment because it may seem like a lot, but $1500 mic over 30+years of recording is only $4 a month, so it's an investment in a passion. But not ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

I like these long/old threads, there is always a bunch of good info and discussion.

You both make wonderful points! I have a "case in point" for my point of view. This particular niggle has been hashed over ad nauseum on GS, and there are those there who stick to their guns, staunchly, on the side of "money is no object". For me it's the idea of "diminishing returns". I used to own a pair of Schoeps CMC6-MK2S. They were wonderful mics, they had a bottom end to die for (on organ, they were scary), and they were beautifully made. I acquired a pair of Beyer MC-930s (I know, they're cardioids, and the MK2S is an omni capsule), and I was shocked, pleased, and then thrilled to discover that they were within "inches" of performing every bit as well as the Schoeps did. It was really a matter of degrees, and none of the clients that I worked for at the time could hear any difference. Not long ago, I decided on three Naiant X-W's, for the omni pattern, which I needed. I was tickled to discover that they are right there with the Beyers in performance - they're just as quiet, they have a very similar "character", and they're also beautifully made. Now, the Schoeps cost me $3800 the pair when I got them, the Beyers were $900 the pair, and I paid a little over $300 for the X-W triplets. I did NOT loose 3/4 of the performance the Schoeps provided.

I do agree that the best tools will ultimately lead to the best results, but I would suggest - not argue, I don't do that - that wisely spent money will take one just as far in satisfaction as Cartier level gear.

Thank you, guys!

You both make wonderful points! I have a "case in point" for my point of view. This particular niggle has been hashed over ad nauseum on GS, and there are those there who stick to their guns, staunchly, on the side of "money is no object". For me it's the idea of "diminishing returns". I used to own a pair of Schoeps CMC6-MK2S. They were wonderful mics, they had a bottom end to die for (on organ, they were scary), and they were beautifully made. I acquired a pair of Beyer MC-930s (I know, they're cardioids, and the MK2S is an omni capsule), and I was shocked, pleased, and then thrilled to discover that they were within "inches" of performing every bit as well as the Schoeps did. It was really a matter of degrees, and none of the clients that I worked for at the time could hear any difference. Not long ago, I decided on three Naiant X-W's, for the omni pattern, which I needed. I was tickled to discover that they are right there with the Beyers in performance - they're just as quiet, they have a very similar "character", and they're also beautifully made. Now, the Schoeps cost me $3800 the pair when I got them, the Beyers were $900 the pair, and I paid a little over $300 for the X-W triplets. I did NOT loose 3/4 of the performance the Schoeps provided.

I do agree that the best tools will ultimately lead to the best results, but I would suggest - not argue, I don't do that - that wisely spent money will take one just as far in satisfaction as Cartier level gear.

Thank you, guys!

In a way, what I was saying - but after 20 years you could sell the Schoeps at a profit (probably double what you paid), at least break even on the Beyer and the Naint will be worth very little, if anything.

My MKH 20/30/40 mics retailed at about £350 each when I bought them - they are now around £2,000 each new - s/h price about half retail means that they are easily worth £7-800 each (I looked after them, of course)

But the Naint are good little mics. and are not to be sneezed at, at all.

Just spend wisely, maximise your budget and get stuff that will perform well for the longest time.

Yup to everything. I never sell stuff (recording stuff that is) so resale isn't really an issue for me. If my $300 preamp is worth $10 in 30 years I'll be stoked that it still works!

Good point about "diminishing returns". I think that's the key. Everyone has to decide what price no longer adds enough quality to be warranted for their own needs.

Those are great points, all! John, wow! You did "purchase wisely". I do look at some gear as an investment, that is a very valid point. However, my little location service has never progressed beyond "occasional", and as much as I'd like to have spent money on the best, I just couldn't. It would sit on the shelf and appreciate, and that's great, but I bought my stuff to use, and even though it doesn't get used as much as I'd like or intend, I don't feel guilt about having spent a fortune on something that is just sitting there (that only applies to shoes ;~)). Does that make sense? Back when I was in college, the Larger Advent Loudspeaker had just come out (dating myself, huh?). I thought they were fantastic, and the fact that they cost $100 each didn't deter me from asserting that they were as good as (if not better) sounding than a friend's AR-3a's, which cost more than twice as much each. I bought a pair, and loved them, for a long time. Did they increase in value? Not while I had them, but that wasn't why I had them. They sounded fantastic and I could afford them. If I could have afforded Klipschorn's, I would have had them!

All right, I realize I've hijacked the thread and the points have already been made. I just like to type, that's all!

Thank you, fellas!

Since I am in the process of rebuilding my studio after having to sell off everything, I only have 3 right now. That should change in short order.
-Shure KSM27
-Shure SM57
-AKG D5

(2) Samson C02s
(1) Studio Projects B1
(1) SM57
(1) Homemade subkick

Looking to get maybe a ribbon, a large diaphragm dynamic, or another SM57. Or some omnis...

Updated list with new mic.:-

I had a nice e-mail from Violet Design just after I got home from ProLight+Sound in Frankfurt to say that I was the winner of the prize draw for a Black Knight microphone. It arrived last week and is a nice addition to my mic. locker - thank you Violet. :D :cool:

Sennheiser
2 x MKH 20 - omni
2 x MKH 30 - fig.8
2 x MKH 40 - cardioid
2 x MKH 8020 - omni
2 x MKH 8040 - cardioid
1 x MZD 8000 (AES42 digital microphone adaptor)
1 x MKH 8000 series stand with extension tube and remote cables
2 x MKH 800 - switchable
2 x MKH 816F - long gun, flat response (don't ask)
1 x MKE 66 - stereo pre-polarised condenser
1 x MD 421 - dynamic cardioid
1 x MD 431 - dynamic super-cardioid vocal
1 x MD 441 - dynamic super-cardioid

Neumann
1 x TLM 103 - cardioid LDC
2 x GFM 132 - hemispherical boundary mic.
1 x KMR 82i - short gun
2 x KM-D - AES42 digital mic. body
2 x KK 183-D - diffuse-field omni head for KM-D
2 x KK 131-D - near-field omni head for KM-D
1 x DMI-2 (digital microphone controller)
2 x DMI-2P (portable DC-powered digital microphone controller)

Calrec
2 x 2050 - cardioid with detachable heads

Beyer
2 x M 67N - dynamic cardioid (my first decent mics, bought in the early 1970's)

AKG
1 x C451 + CK1 + VR1 - condenser cardioid with extension tube
1 x D 12 - dynamic cardioid
1 x D 190 - dynamic cardioid

Soundfield
1 x SPS200

Violet Design
1 x Black Knight - cardioid LDC (though seems to measure super-cardioid)

MBHO
1 x Jecklin Disk
1 x Schneider Disk

Grace
1 x SpaceBar 30/66 kit

Rycote
I have upgraded all by mic. mounts to Rycote InVision series for the SDCs and to the USM or USM-L for the LDCs and side-fire microphones.

And I'm sure I've still got more I've forgotten.

Had 4 or 5 more microphones come in this past month. (even more on a monthly bases)
That has to put me way over 4 hundred microphones from the last time I posted a ways back in 09'

Had 4 or 5 more microphones come in this past month. (even more on a monthly bases)
That has to put me way over 4 hundred microphones from the last time I posted a ways back in 09'

400!!!!

Guess that's your retirement investment.

Wow man that is a lot of mics.

I have 3 mic's and I am embarrassed to even post them! Cause they all suck

the best one I have is a MXL-2010 if that tells you anything :)

Wow - that's great.

You must be either very rich or very poor :D :drunk:

Nice!! Why not try recording a band with all 400 mics. :D Throw the first 100 on the drums just in case. You can never have too many mics on a drumset. :eek:

Back