Melodyne Essential?

MEvansMusic

Hey everybody,

I'm still a little new to the forum, and so I wasn't sure what category this question would fit in. But anyways, I'm looking at buying Melodyne Essential ($70.00 on ebay) for minor pitch correction work on my vocal tracks in Pro Tools 11. I mostly put together cover arrangements and medleys, and while I generally stay pretty on key in my takes, it seems like once I mix my work into Pro Tools 11, the vocal tracks almost lack a certain 'polished off' and/or professional sound that many people (including many Youtube cover artists in particular), with similar setups as me have, in fact, achieved. I'm fairly certain that reason is from the use of a subliminal auto-tune; sometimes I hear it in the mixes, but I'm never absolutely sure until it's almost blatantly obvious. I know even with perfect takes most professional singers/studio engineers (especially in mainstream pop) apply it to some level to really get things tightened up. I'm just looking for some subliminal amounts of pitch correction to tighten up my mixes and deliver a more concise and pitch-perfect sound (no T-pain effect). Has anyone had any experience with the Essential software? If so can you vouch its credibility (or lack thereof)? Is it worth is over say Autotune EFX2 or Waves?

I achieve what you're wanting to using ReaTune, which is a plugin bundled with Reaper - unfortunately, it's not available as part of the free plugins download package as it uses the Elastique algorithms that are part of the main programme.

I've seen this free tool recommended elsewhere: -

GVST - GTune

For minor pitch corrections that you describe, maybe an expensive tool isn't required. Are you sure Pro Tools doesn't have pitch correction included - I know Cubase does, using the same algorithms available in Reaper.

Hmm, I will look into Reaper. I've tried Gsnap autotune with Audacity (doesn't work with pro tools 11 as far as I understand it), but it's settings are a little too limited imho (still a great free plugin). Unfortunately Pro Tools 11 doesn't come with anything of the likes; I've heard though that older versions of Pro Tools used to include a form of Melodyne Essential, but not anymore. Pro Tools has a elastic audio pitch shifting function, and I've tried using that in tiny sections of vocal tracks but it's far too tedious and the results were only sub-par.

I've tried both Melodyne and Auto-tune in the past and liked the interface on Melodyne better and I have only ever used it in offline mode. If used properly, neither is detectable.

But as far as tightening up or polishing a vocal track, I think you aren't going to find that with a pitch correction app if you're singing on key. Look to these tools for fixing a sour note here or there or for developing an illness like the dreaded Kanye West syndrome. :D

For making a vocal track better, fix what is wrong with it.

I like melodyne a lot. One of the first things I did with it was a mandolin track that had some 60 hz hum. The hum was interpreted as a note and I deleted it. I thought that was cool.

I tried the trail auto tune I think you are considering and it worked well. I would download the free trail and see if autotune does what you want. It is real time.

Melodyne itself is much more involved as far as how accurate it can sound. My experience with Autotune has not been pleasant. Though that was 5 years ago.

I have no experience with the 'Essential' version however. 'Assistant' is what I use myself. It is an essential tool, if such a tool is needed... :)

Anyone try/use the Waves Tune plug-in...?

They have it on Black Friday sale for $99....the regular price is $400.

I achieve what you're wanting to using ReaTune, which is a plugin bundled with Reaper - unfortunately, it's not available as part of the free plugins download package as it uses the Elastique algorithms that are part of the main programme.

I've seen this free tool recommended elsewhere: -

GVST - GTune

For minor pitch corrections that you describe, maybe an expensive tool isn't required. Are you sure Pro Tools doesn't have pitch correction included - I know Cubase does, using the same algorithms available in Reaper.

Interested in your results here johnny... I use ReaTune as well but every time I switch on the 'autommated' tab and listen to what it does to a track I run screaming from the room... but possibly I'm not using it properly... so I use the manual corrector on the next tab - and that can be very hit and miss.... and almost useless for long held notes where there's suddenly a waver flat or sharp... something that my voice seems to do often, despite my best efforts.. :cursing:

OP - sorry to 'jack your thread, but it's sort of related... :D

Back