Meh. Please let loose

Ooooh, nice voice. If she ain't sampled I can only say you are one lucky dude. Or, one lucky dude is around there ... Sweet voice. Guy's voice is alright too.
Well recorded, really. What, is your home studio Motown Studios? No eh, so well recorded.
Sounds good thru my Grados.

Best on the page.

Nope...it's not badly recorded at all.
Really good singer. Sounds like Avril Lavigne.....
I like it.

Joey :):):):)

Hi..

I thought the song was good and it was well recorded..great singing..good luck in the future..bob

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate the compliments. I'm in one of those lack of confidence (recording/mixing-wise) funks. She (her name is Danielle) is a very young vocalist who is constantly improving. She's either 16 or 17.

Any suggestions or criticisms about the mix are still openly welcome.

Thanks!

NOt a bad start bro..

I am overly familiar with this SOTY song (my girl loves it to death) and im digging where its headed. The pianos were a rad touch and i like that your keeping some of the dirty elements of the original (guitars)

I'm in love with the fact you didn't get all 'screamo' in it. I loathe even typing that word. Good job.

Im going to make a few suggestions that if it were me with this track i would like to see in it.

A: String arrangments and accompanyments (digital or other, real would be stellar) at 0:26 to 0:36 and throughout various other parts in the song.. Maybe even replace your solo-y guitar track with some strings?

B: fatten up them guitars!! For real. Thats really the one element of the song you kept real, and i just think you need to get them more full, fat, sounding. As it now they are o.k. But i think need that thick quality. Too Sparse.

Not louder. Just fatter. Don't drown out your piano or strings if you get them in there. And they may come more to life if you do anything related to my next reccomendation...

C: I don't hear any low end. And going back to my string accompanyment comment, rather then lay down a bass track, id get creative with A cello or some kind of low end String...thing. If that helps. But seriously that would sound effin amazing.

D: Maybe from 2:55 to 3:04 instead of the rim shots replace it with some drum and bass electronic drum beat mixed so it sounds as though its coming though a telephone reciever ???? might sound dope? It may really give that punch back in some guts? Perhaps.

Thats all i got for now...

Great vox too. Im impressed.

But as far as the strings go, i know its easier said then done, not everyone has a string section at the beckon call, I was just throwing that out at ya.

Duh..

Also re-reading the original posts, if all you did was record it and not perform then disregard a majority of my response. . . .

Also re-reading the original posts, if all you did was record it and not perform then disregard a majority of my response. . . .

Thanks for the great ideas! Yes, I am basically just the engineer, both recording and mixing, but fortunately I do often get to wear the producer's hat, and I will definitely explore some of your suggestions. I LOVE the string arrangement idea. I'll have to play around with that for a bit.

As far as fattening up the guitars, that's exactly what my problem is right now and why I think I did a poor job on this so far. What would be your suggestions as to fattening up the guitars at this point? Double tracking? Effects (panned reverbs, light chorus effect, etc)? I definitely agree, the guitars are weak. I want to change that but have run into a road block.

Thanks again

What Bomb said. I think you could go a long way toward fattening the guits with EQ aps. They sound real good...just thin....however pumping the bass guitar up might fix it. The guits' predominant strength is in the rough freq range of the lead vocal. A little manly belly wouldn't step on her.

The bass guitar is way under-represented.

I thought some stacking in the 'answering 'vocal would be nice....a back and forth thing.

The playing and arranging is real good. The girl sings swell. Nice job with the recording....almost there.

What would be your suggestions as to fattening up the guitars at this point?

Keep it simple and double track; forget any effects, just layer up another two track with the current ones.

Vary the amp / amp tone to add some depth. e.g. layer up some higher-gain tracks for the high end crunch with some lower-gain tracks with more detailed mids and a bit more low-end.

Other than that, nice mix :)

Vox sound great. Only other thing I might pick up on is the snare is a bit harsh yet weak and 'tappy' - needs a bit more low end and punch to it.

I think I'll end up double tracking the guitars. I did bring up the bass a bit and that definitely helped. The thanks for the tips!

Also, nice catch on the snare. Every time I listen through I always notice it for a bit, but then I forget to do anything about it!

Also, I accentuated the middle kick in the the chorus triplet-type part. The drummer said it was a little weak. Also, I tightened up the roll near the end. After double tracking I'll update you with a new mix.

I think I did a poor job on this so far.

not at all. Don't sell yourself short. I could have a field day with this track with the right tools available to me.

I second the the double tracking the guitars. Use a different amp, or amp settings. Also and i reccomend it highly to use a totally different guitar altogether also. Such a huge help in accenting that stuff. Start here.

Again i second the EQ suggestion. It can do wonders. After double tracking and bringing the bass up (I honestly didn't even hear the bass?). It should help immensely. So that will help in the fattening process. Also trust your ears. Youll hear it when you hit it.

But don't make them overpower everything else. Just .... Fat.

Brilliant. You should put your producer hat/balls on and sell them on the idea of the strings though. Mixed ever so suttle....Frig.

It will blow minds. I am confident in this.

I'm enjoying this version much more then the actual real song. And that doesn't happen much either in my world.

Back